X

Battery Area Cleanup

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Area Cleanup

Working on cleaning up the electrics on the Kat. I've got the harness all hacked apart so I can remove unnecessary wiring (I'm only running a tach and speedo... no idiot lights, etc), and I'm fixing up my battery box area to look better without fairings covering it. Thought I'd throw some picture action up..... maybe it will spark some ideas with others who are tired of the obviously-meant-to-be-covered electrics.

I've got to use a smaller battery, but it should still have plenty of juice for starting. I've also got my ignition switch mounted in the box (as you can see). It's going to be a tight fit with the CDI box, the relays, the fuse box, and the starter solenoid, but I'm pretty sure I can make it all fit. I might make a bracket to hold the fuse block over top of the battery to free up some space in the box.

Feel free to toss out any ideas...... I'm just kind wingin' this part.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Nice, where did you get the box?

Being a tightass I made mine.

I mounted the starter directly to the battery, and the CDI box to the bottom (with a cover)
    Last edited by Black_peter; 03-24-2010, 01:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

nice clean set up

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
        Nice, where did you get the box?

Being a tightass I made mine.

I mounted the starter directly to the battery, and the CDI box to the bottom (with a cover)
        I'm assuming you mean you mounted the starter solenoid to the battery..... as mounting the starter to the battery would be quite a feat.

The box came from Parts Express. They sell Aluminum boxes of all sizes..... this is one of the biggest ones. Even with a YB12A battery in it (a good one will have about 160CCA, so I think it should be ok) instead of the factory one, it's going to be tight.

What I'd like to do is make the harness of appropriate length so that if I decide to just use cut-down factory tail fairings, I can turn the box 180 degrees so the ignition switch is toward the front (with it in the back like that, I'm pretty sure even the cut down fairings would cover it). I'm planning to just make my own tail section, but just in case I don't have the time or energy.....
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Well, I won't have to worry about flipping the box around. I've pretty much absolutely committed myself to making a one-off tail section for it. I chopped up the back part of my seat pan, so the passenger seat ends very shortly after the rearmost latch. All the wiring and things fit just fine. I made a poorly constructed bracket to hold the starter solenoid over top of the battery (I'll make another one, this was just to test the concept), and mounted the fuseblock behind the aluminum box parallel to the top. I've got the back wheel off right now to put the correct spacer and the new bearings in, and the brake arm is headed to the metal shop one of these days to get sectioned to make space for the tire.

Comment

Working...
          X