Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

can fuel leak into oil while bike is running?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can fuel leak into oil while bike is running?

thats pretty much the question i have, because i have fixed the carbs (I think) and put a fuel shut off valve in the line so zero fuel is going in the carbs when sitting.
    I changed the oil and filter, and put the level to the full line. Ran the bike for 100 miles and the oil was over the full line in the sight window. I drained the excess and checked it for gas smell and I did not smell anything but oil really and the oil seemed to be thick still and not runny like previously when i did have gas washing. So is this because oil is draining down from the oil cooler giving me a over full reading and i put too much oil in it intially? It is not overfull horribly, it's up to the top of the sight window and i can see the cutoff point. i'm stumped. The oil after 100 miles is the same color as when i put it in new.

Fuel leaks into your oil if you have a float set incorrectly or if you have crap gumming up the float valve causing it to stay open.

Did you check your oil level with the bike on a flat surface sitting straight up?
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I am pretty sure it was level concrete it was on. I checked oil again, still no gas smell. Guess ill drain some out run it then see what happens again.

Comment

Check it both times on the same level concrete area.
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Ok, I'll use a bubble level across the tank this time, but don't think it should be that difficult to get an accurate oil level. I'll take the excess out till its almost middle between L and F marks, run it and see what happens. There is no gas in the oil that I can tell, and the oil is the same consistency as it should be, just don't know what to make of this, it's crazy!

Comment

Working...
          X