X

Exchanged old bike for a newer bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchanged old bike for a newer bike

I sold my 750 1989 Katana (24000 miles) after riding it for a month last year, for a newer 1996 Katana 600cc (4000 miles). The old one had a few problems such as oil leak at couple of places, tires needed replacement, brake pad, carbs etc and the mechanic offered to buy it and sold me the new one for the nearly the cost of the repairs.

The 600 is definitely lighter and a lot of fun for local riding. But at higher speeds (> 60 mph), I feel uncomfortable and the wind seems to push it around. I have gone on local highways but not on interstate yet. I am planning to use it as a commuter bike to work and save on gas. I am getting 40 mpg.

The bike fell down today after parking it, the side stand seems not very solid/stable. The windshield broke and I ordered a replacement from ebay for $49.99. where can I find a screw driver to fix the windshield??

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by venky; 05-01-2011, 04:01 PM. Reason: typo error

I am guessing the screws are allen head , so the tool kit under the seat if its still there ore local hardware store
    A picture would help

on the side stand always turn the bars to the left or it will tend to roll off the stand
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Downgrade.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Always make sure the kickstand is all the way out too; if it's not all the way out or you roll the bike forward any while it is out, it'll fold back D:
        I always double or triple check it by kicking it forward /just/ before I lean the bike over.

One time I plain forgot the kickstand altogether and wound up doing this awkward slow gentle fall to the ground (early into it I realized what I did so I was trying to keep it from falling by pulling up, but it was beyond the tipping point) LOL

Comment

Nice, 4000 miles, it isn't even broke in yet. As far as the wind pushing it around at highway speeds, it must've been pretty darn windy out.

I could have sold you my slightly cracked windscreen for a couple bucks.
          Last edited by TSG; 05-01-2011, 08:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
            I am guessing the screws are allen head , so the tool kit under the seat if its still there ore local hardware store
            A picture would help

on the side stand always turn the bars to the left or it will tend to roll off the stand
            I think I had the handle to the right. Thanks for the tip.

Is it possible to get the kick stand installed on the bike especially for a windy day.

Thanks

Originally posted by TSG View Post
            Nice, 4000 miles, it isn't even broke in yet. As far as the wind pushing it around at highway speeds, it must've been pretty darn windy out.

I could have sold you my slightly cracked windscreen for a couple bucks.
            The owner was a lady that had the bike sitting for ten years in the garage after she became pregnant.

Can you sell me the cracked windscreen. I got the order cancelled.

Thanks

Originally posted by foxox View Post
            Always make sure the kickstand is all the way out too; if it's not all the way out or you roll the bike forward any while it is out, it'll fold back D:
            I always double or triple check it by kicking it forward /just/ before I lean the bike over.

One time I plain forgot the kickstand altogether and wound up doing this awkward slow gentle fall to the ground (early into it I realized what I did so I was trying to keep it from falling by pulling up, but it was beyond the tipping point) LOL
            After the fall, I have become really paranoid and make sure the bike is parked well. Can a heavy wind push the bike down when parked??

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
            Downgrade.
            I am newbie to riding bikes and my goal is to get a bigger one in 2 years, probably a 900cc.
            Last edited by venky; 05-02-2011, 09:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

i dont kno about tht particular bike, i got a 2000...but my old gs500e fell twice cuz of heavy winds, so i had to start keepin it on the center stand

Comment

Never park with the bars to the right, never park in neutral, always park facing uphill and LOCK YOUR FORKS.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

We had some 40-50 mph winds here this weekend and found that at highway speeds of 70+ the bike was more stable then when I slowed down.

Also, when you are paking the bike on the kickstand, make sure you are on level ground. If there is even a slight incline, make sure you have the front of the bike facing uphill. If you have it facing down hill and you forget to put your bike in 1st gear when its parked, it won't take much to take the bike down.

My bike didn't have a centerstand when I got it, but I tracked one down and installed it. I use it whenever the bike is going to be parked for more than a few min. I've had other bikes fall over on hot summers when it was parked on asphalt. The kickstand would sink into the asphalt and down would go the bike. The center stand prevents that from happening.
                  sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                  1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                  2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                  First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                  Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
                    I've had other bikes fall over on hot summers when it was parked on asphalt. The kickstand would sink into the asphalt and down would go the bike. The center stand prevents that from happening.
                    Kickstand puck

I use crushed cans.

Comment

I had mine tip over on me too the other day...but I happened to be just getting off the bike and i caught it.

Center stand FTW
                      Last edited by BabyBoosa; 05-02-2011, 01:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      2006 Katana 600

Comment

GREAT DEAL ...you will love a lighter bike in the cyns ,better mpg too. YOU SCORED

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
                          My bike didn't have a centerstand when I got it, but I tracked one down and installed it. I use it whenever the bike is going to be parked for more than a few min. I've had other bikes fall over on hot summers when it was parked on asphalt. The kickstand would sink into the asphalt and down would go the bike. The center stand prevents that from happening.
                          Do you know where I can find a center stand and is it hard to do it by myself.

Thanks

Comment

I'm surprised you find the 600 lighter than the 750. I don't notice much difference.

As for getting blown around on the highway, RELAX. The more tense your upper body is the more you are going to get blown around. I know, it seems counter-intuitive and I used to ignore Kreylyn and give me dirty looks when he told me that, but it's really true. I didn't have any problem on the interstate last weekend on my 600 going 70-80 in and around semis.
                            Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
                              I'm surprised you find the 600 lighter than the 750. I don't notice much difference
                              It's not much. There is more rotational mass with the slightly larger pistons but that's it. Same frame.

Comment

Working...
                              X