X

Vacuum Forming ABS, acrylic, and PC

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum Forming ABS, acrylic, and PC

I guess this would be my first post after lurking here for some time. I'm looking at making a DIY setup for recreating bodypanels, and making a custom tail section. I'm going to be using ABS for the body panels, and then Acrylic to make a new tail light, and considering all the other options, this seems to be the most cost effective versus trying other methods with which I have no experience.

I was curious if anyone else had some experience doing this, or had any suggestions. At first I wanted to used PC to make the body panels just so I could rattle can the underside, but still acheive a beautiful, scratch resistant glossy finish. I'm reluctant to do this because I'm unaware of how PC will fair with sunlight and the heat.

Welcome to the post side of things! Sounds pretty interesting. Id luv to see a few pics of your set up once you work the details out.
    Joker
    The newest addition to the Family!
    sigpic
    stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

I'm going to make a fighter out of it. Just going to take off headlight/cluster, and make a bracket out of a spare triple cap I have for dual headlights and an Acewell gauge, and make an abs bracket for the gauge and dummy lights. I'm going to remake the rear side panels, so they flow better without the front fairings, and curve into the new tail light better.

Comment

Welcome to KR, and good luck with the project!
        "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Meursault View Post
          I guess this would be my first post after lurking here for some time. I'm looking at making a DIY setup for recreating bodypanels, and making a custom tail section. I'm going to be using ABS for the body panels, and then Acrylic to make a new tail light, and considering all the other options, this seems to be the most cost effective versus trying other methods with which I have no experience.

I was curious if anyone else had some experience doing this, or had any suggestions. At first I wanted to used PC to make the body panels just so I could rattle can the underside, but still acheive a beautiful, scratch resistant glossy finish. I'm reluctant to do this because I'm unaware of how PC will fair with sunlight and the heat.

Check out this site for some great do it yourself tools for that project.

Instructables is a community for people who like to make things. Come explore, share, and make your next project with us!

ABS is not hard to vacuum form for general curving shapes. It may take a high powered vaccum to get sharp curves if your needing them for the thicker pieces.

For lenses, there are a couple of options. If you want to re-create a piece your better off getting the ingrediants to mix up, and pour into a mold, to get that pro look. If your starting from scratch, you can start off with a piece of refractive lighting cover you can pick up at lowes. These are in the lighting isle... If you are inside an office, look up.. it's what covers the floresent lights most of the time.

Good luck!

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Here's some resources for ya:
            One of the most popular DIY vacuum forming setups, and www.tk560.com is a forum much like this one, only dedicated to vacuum forming and fabrication.

another similar diy vacuum forming machine on instructables
            Vacuum Former: This is my first version of a vacuum former and if you skip to the last stem you see why I needed to make some changes. The new version is here Vacuum Former 2 A vacuum forming machine is used form plastic sheet into the shape of a mold. Vacuum f…

An FAQ on diy vacuum forming stuff

I get my ABS locally from a plastics distributor but the minimum order is $100, but they did do my cutting for me, which saved me a lot of time and effort.
            Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

neat stuff!
              Joker
              The newest addition to the Family!
              sigpic
              stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

definately go with vacuum forming.. its actually really easy once you do it a few times... and you can make all kinds of custom shapes with it

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
                "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

I was a lurker for a long time too -- Welcome to the posting side of things.

Good luck with the fighter project, I love fighter bikes.
                  /ˈpjuːdʒɪt/ sounder
                  The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.
                  ...and miles to go before I sleep.
                  - The Cyberpoet (RIP 9/20/09)

Comment

Working...
                  X