X

How much is a Katana worth?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is a Katana worth?

Best case scenario, (not necessarily my scenario) how much is a good running good looking, relatively unmodified 1995 Katana worth? I live in the NW if that makes a difference

I know I'm upside down in my Katana and getting deeper. *sigh*
    I'm considering cutting my losses and running, I'm not convinced either way at this point, but I just keep working on it in the meantime.

How many miles? What all is wrong with it?

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
      How many miles? What all is wrong with it?
      Best case: Nothing major, moderate mileage.

Comment

Way to be specific on that one.

Comment

Somewhere between $300 and $2500

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            Way to be specific on that one.
            Yea yea... Way to avoid the question

I'm not asking about any particular bike.
            I'm wondering how much a pretty nice Katana is worth. Not any per se, but a Katana in nice shape.

If you need me to be hypothetical FOR you:

A 1995 Katana with 10,112 miles
            Recent carb clean, brakes, and new tires, new chain, new battery
            4:1 exhaust
            Fairings intact, paint fair (since I know you'll aske what fair means: some scratches in the paint, no structural damage)
            All systems fully functional, not leaks, or drips.
            Could use a carb adjustment, like a new jet or clip position, but pulls pretty well.

Hows that?

Last edited by ejether; 02-06-2012, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ejether View Post
              Yea yea... Way to avoid the question

I'm not asking about any particular bike.
              I'm wondering how much a pretty nice Katana is worth. Not any per se, but a Katana in nice shape.

If you need me to be hypothetical FOR you:

A 1995 Katana with 10,112 miles
              Recent carb clean, brakes, and new tires, new chain, new battery
              4:1 exhaust
              Fairings intact, paint fair (since I know you'll aske what fair means: some scratches in the paint, no structural damage)
              All systems fully functional, not leaks, or drips.
              Could use a carb adjustment, like a new jet or clip position, but pulls pretty well.

Hows that?
              Sorry....but we need pictures

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyZ View Post
                Somewhere between $300 and $2500
                So $2500 would be about the most anyone could expect a 95 katana. Got it.

Originally posted by MikeyZ View Post
                Sorry....but we need pictures

Let me google that for you

Comment

$1200 in perfect shape, brand new tires chain and sprockets, and mint condition fairings.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I have over $1600 into my 92 600. never going to sell it. keep at it you'll get it going. You have reached the point that you might as well finish it, Your going to take a bath if you sell. I would say you'll get $750 - $1200 if your lucky. It is an old bike, good for after learning though.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                      I have over $1600 into my 92 600. never going to sell it. keep at it you'll get it going. You have reached the point that you might as well finish it, Your going to take a bath if you sell. I would say you'll get $750 - $1200 if your lucky. It is an old bike, good for after learning though.
                      Thanks for the encouragement junker.
                      I estimate I'll have $22-2500 into mine when I'm done. Which of course is a whole lot more that I EVER wanted to spend on this bike. I'm feeling discouraged so its nice to hear some kind words.

Cheers to you mate.

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                        +1, with that kind of money into it, this is definitely the best case scenario. Just out of curiousity, what have you all done to it?
                        "Don't steal, the government hates competition."
                        "The greatest threat to religion is a man thinking for himself."
                        "You could think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to stop thinking."

Comment

I bought mine for a bought 1400 and I have more in it than I could get out of it. i think most of us with pre's are in that boat.
                          Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                          Tony
                          94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by alixoschmann View Post
                            +1, with that kind of money into it, this is definitely the best case scenario. Just out of curiousity, what have you all done to it?
                            Got it for $700 running, though not well.
                            Replaced the gas tank (it was leaking)
                            Rebuilt the carbs
                            New tires, valve adjustment, brake pads and petcock rebuild by a shop ($$$)
                            I asked them not to do the brakes or petcock, just to get me the parts, but they did it anyway and charged me for it
                            Other than that, just tinker with the fuel deliver issues.

The real kicker is the lack of a title.
                            The guy was supposed to get it to me but then disappeared...
                            I should have stopped at that point, but I was too optimistic or stupid.

I have a clear path to getting a title for it but it will be a few - several hundred more dollars and a few more months.

I either need to give up counting, and just make it mine, or part it out.
                            I guess its a good thing I like working on bikes!

Comment

Unless you want another bike and don't have the room for two don't sell it. You'll never pick up enough money for your kat to make it worth selling. I have bought a stock, smooth running '98 750 for €1k ($1300), no mods done yet. I decided from the get go that I would either total it or ride it 'till it disintegrates. Till death do us part so to speak.
                              Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

Working...
                              X