X

Do you plug motorcycle tires?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you plug motorcycle tires?

My rear tire has a nail in it. I have not pulled it out. So far, there has not been any air loss. I have not pulled it out because I do not want it to go flat if it is all the way through. If it is all the way through, can you plug a motorcylce tire?

Why you can plug a bike tire most people will say don't do it and just get a new tire.
    Kyle

Comment

It's not recommended to plug a motorcycle tire for obvious reasons. They can be patched from the inside but it does require the tire to be removed from the bike. Safest deal is a new tire.

Comment

I had one plugged recently. The tires had only 300 mi. on them when I bought the bike, and I had only put 200 more on them when I picked up a nail. I did not want to spend $ on a new rear tire so I searched here as well. Took it to a shop and had it plugged for like $20. I felt comfortable with this because I am a newb and do not ride my Kat very hard (yet). I think if I were using my knee pucks, I might have just bought a new tire. I have been up to 90 mph like two or three times since and it feels fine.
        Press the attack!

Comment

Stay safe, get a new tire.

Pre 98's Rock!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...&id=1593731870

http://www.myspace.com/bobbyma

Comment

I wouldn't want to be doing 90mph if that plug let go.
            Cost of a tire would be far less than what it would cost to repair your bike if you crashed. Could be hard on your body as well...........

Comment

I have a plugged tire on my Kat right now. I have also had many in the past. Do what ya gotta do.
              Ron
              MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

if the bike shop is willing to plug the tire then have it pluged. I have had pluged tires before. It is all up to you.

Comment

Personally I'd only use a plug to get home in an emergency or maaaaybe to get around town at low speeds if it was my only means of transportation until I could get a new tire but once plugged in my mind it's no different than an emergency donut on the cage. Low speeds and only point A to point B until it's replaced or patched from the inside.
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Bwink if you have a Cycle Gear near you go there buy a tire and get the road hazard along with it. This will help you out if you get a nail again. Take the tire in and they will check it out. If it is still with in the first 25% of the tread life you get a new Tire for free minus mounting and balance cost which is only $15 and the cost of adding road hazard to that tire. No other shop I know of offers Road hazard on a motorcycle tire.
                    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

OK, I'm a newbie, but I have to say getting a new tire is the only way to go. The owner's manual says to never have a tire repaired, only replaced. If you look elsewhere on the net you'll get the same general opinion. Besides, the tires last a long time. You've only got two wheels, so you're in an awful lot of trouble if one of them fails. Also, I hate to say this, but you'd better get two new tires. It's not a good idea to replace only one tire on a bike, even if the front tire is fine. Hey, always better safe than sorry IMHO. Good luck!
                      ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow2002Kat
                        ...Besides, the tires last a long time...

Spoken like a true Kat owner.... not a Busa owner

I agree with the above, Jim, etc. Treat a pluged tire like a donut (hate those things). Get you to point A to B until you can get it replaced. BUT...
                        I hear Meanstrk loud and clear. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. On the way back from the Gap I picked up a nail outside of Memphis and made it to Amarillo before I had to finally plug it. Made it home and another week of putting around town til I could get a new set (low funds after the trip and I like to replace them as a set). Thankfully, the nail was right in the middle of the tread. Not advisable to plug any tire along the sidewall.
                        sigpic

Comment

i have rode 1500miles on a plugged front and rear just wasn't able to do burnouts well should say didn't want to because of fear of the plug comming out.. its upto you how safe do you feel with a plug
                          Woody
                          http://www.nationalcyclesupply.net
                          http://www.ncsupply.com

Comment

Personally I'd only use a plug to get home in an emergency or maaaaybe to get around town at low speeds if it was my only means of transportation until I could get a new tire but once plugged in my mind it's no different than an emergency donut on the cage. Low speeds and only point A to point B until it's replaced or patched from the inside.
                            ..Plugging a car tire is one thing for obvious reasons..but on a bike, when you only have 2 wheels in the first place, and then you hamper one by compromising its stability even more, no thanks.

Comment

I have heard its ok for dirt tires
                              Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

Working...
                              X