X

Continental Sport & Road Attack Review

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continental Sport & Road Attack Review

Just got done with my second rear set Continental Attack Series tires (Rears ONLY!). I think they look cool and they're German made so the story begins.
    I'm a heavy rider so results may vary (265lbs).
    Bike is a '96 600cc with stock worn out rear shock.
    1) Sport Attack (mid grade sport compound)= One tiny burn out on rough cement- 3,500 miles.
    2) Road Attack (Harder Compound)= One ultra tiny burn out- 9K miles.

Both handle curves pretty good. I'm not a knee dragger of course but I do lean over pretty good (1/4" chicken strips/160 tire). I never had slippage issues unless I locked the rear brake while speeding in a hairy situation or if I ran over a slick, rain soaked man hole cover while leaning too aggressively. Funny but I feel like the Road Attack gripped more when locking down the rear brake.
    Thumbs up on the Road Attack
    My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Funny

Maybe your build and the temp of the tire resulted in difference of expectation. Did you track either of the tires and what performance differences did you experience under similar environmental conditions? Was one better for slicks versu other?

Comment

I for sure warmed up the Road Attack more frequently before each ride. The new house I'm in allows me time to clean due to less traffic plus I have gravel & sand after leaving the driveway now days. I think the Road Attack performed better just because the fact I locked up the rear with both tires. I don't any complaints with either concerning cornering or rain conditions. I got caught in a thunderstorm a time or three. I rode slow every time due to the roads here can puddle up in areas. The Road Attack has MUCH deeper tread, about 1.5 inch deep vs the Sport Attack 1/2" deep (guess/estimate). The little printed "Attack" in the center of the tread lasted about 1 or 2 days on the Sport. The word Attack remained about 2 weeks with the Road series. I didn't have any track days, I'm just a street rider at this point. Trust me, buy the Road Attack or you'll hate you wasted your money on the Sport version.
      Last edited by katanarider; 09-16-2013, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
        The Road Attack has MUCH deeper tread, about 1.5 inch deep vs the Sport Attack 1/2" deep (guess/estimate).
        You need to practise your estimation skills - they ain't SUV mud tyres. This is roughly 1.5 inches (.........................)
        Last edited by TRPUT; 09-16-2013, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
          You need to practise your estimation skills - they ain't SUV mud tyres. This is roughly 1.5 inches (.........................)
          Love it!
          Don't trade it - upgrade it!

Comment

HaHa, yeah...sorry about that. Three years ago is a long time to remember.
            Maybe like 1 inch vs 1/4 inch. They're much thicker to say the least.
            The tread is cut at a angle so it appears they are deeper than they really are.

Comment

It might be more like 1/4 vs 3/8. Even at 1 inch, the TWI would almost be the rim.

Comment

Either way it sounds like the results show that the road specified tires provide better results for distance and sport for attempting to track and improve cornering. thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

Working...
                X