X

Average life of your tires/tyres?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average life of your tires/tyres?

I got a new set of Pirielli Sport Daemons around august and when speaking with a co worker (that has been riding longer than I have been alive) mentioned that he goes through a pair of tires every 1 - 1.5 Years. He is a commuter as well and is a very non aggressive rider with Honda 500 magnum v30.

I am a conservative commuter and just wanted to know what you thought about the life expectancy of your tires. I don't mean the super sticky tires but year round tires...

I am on track to put 12k miles on it this year. The only thing I do aggressively with my rubber is that I love to do slow maneuvering like slalom, parking spaces and tight circles

you might be lucky to get 8-10,000 depending on the tire. Harder compound touring tires will last longer depending on you riding style. You could expect more than 10,000 miles on a really hard touring tire if you drive highway alot. Turning, braking and accelerating wear tires, due less of them all and your gone get less tire wear.

or they could last 40,000mile plus! if you leave it parked

I just got a new set of shinko 011 verge, more of a touring tire but its almost a sport tire. I would like to get 6,000 out of them I guess. The problem with tires is that if you dont use them a lot you can have a good hardly used tire go bad in a few years as the rubber dries out and cracks. More tires are only good for 5yrs or so (car) but Im sure bikes are even worse. They basically start going bad once they are made so i say get some decent rubber and ride the hell out of them and use them when they are good.
    Last edited by 91_gsx600F katana; 02-06-2013, 11:28 PM.
    1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
    fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
    55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
    R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
    Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

That's pretty much my story as well. I put on new tires every fall, about 10-12k miles or sometimes a little more on them. The ones I just pulled off were Pirelli Sport Demons, a very nice tire for my riding and they even lasted longer than I thought they would. I'm currently running a pair of Kenda K671s. However, ymmv and my little Ninja 250 is probably a little easier on tires than the Katanas due to the weight and power differences?
      Tony
      Last edited by TonyKZ1; 02-07-2013, 04:15 PM.
      1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Sports Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page

Comment

I replace tires for age reasons WAY before they're shagged. 6k on my Diablo Rossos right now over 5 years.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Harder compound, higher air pressure = longer life, less grip
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

It all depends on your riding. I average a set of skins every year per bike - 15-18K on the kat, and another 8-10K on the ZZR. Several factors come into play - how well you maintain your tires (pressure wise), and amount of miles ridden. In any event, doesn't matter if you only put 5 miles a year on your mount - tires should be replaced when they are worn out or 5 years old - worn looking or not - due to the tires drying out in that period of time.
            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

most I got on my Kat is 8K on the front. usually get 5-6K. trying a set of michein PR2s. didn't like PR3s, got 5K. half of my mileage is in the mtns other half is getting there.
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I had a brand new set of Dunlop Sportmax Touring on my kat when I got it, ate up the rear tire much faster than the front. I do a lot of commuting and some spirited riding in between. The rear lasted 7k miles, the front is low but ok after over 9k miles. I now have a Pirelli Sport Demon on the rear an I like that way better than the Dunlop in a grip comparison but don't know about the mileage yet since I still run it lol. But as of right now I've got over 2k miles on it.
                Like they said it's all about how you ride. You gotta hear some reviews to put you in the right ball park then fine tune by feeling the tires for yourself.
                94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

i get about 5k KM out of mine, I run mostly sport or hypersport tires and ride my bike hard

I just changed my Front BT-016, the wires were showing on the sides after 3500km... lol

98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I wish I had a higher ratio of twisties to highway like you Dangerous! My rear unfortunately just gives the impression I'm afraid of curves I assure you though...I am not

Comment

we have no twisties around here in Niagara except the route along lake Erie, and a few round abouts lol. I just travel a lot to go find them !
                      I rip up Muskoka every couple weeks from spring to fall, and venture down to deals gap and surrounding areas.
                      98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Sounds pretty awesome! I spend probably 70% of my mileage on highway so most of my wear is in the center

Comment

Working...
                        X