Chain lube

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
    FLUID FILM
    no more cleaning... spray, ride, wipe off, lube with your favorite lube or wax.
    Good to know! Scrubbing the bike chain sucks!
    Extra life.

Comment

Watched the video for this teflon chain saver. Here's a question. What about Rustoleum's Never Wet product? It would repel all liquids from the chain.
      99 Katana 600

Comment

but it does not lubricate. sure it would flake off quickly
        94 kat 600 RIP
        97 vfr 750 ride on

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
          The only way you'll be able to do it without help is to spray a few links, then roll the bike and continue until lubed. Otherwise buy a stand of some sort.
          I use a 2 ton car jack, placed just under the rear shock with kickstand DOWN lol you only have to give it one or two pumps an its off the ground without putting any more stress on the kickstand than an uneven road would.
          94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Originally posted by badwithcomputer View Post
            see above steps plus take bike for a short ride to warm chain, remove chain guard, find a link that looks different than the rest (every chain has one) start there, make sure you have a long'ish drive way. Lube chain, roll forward, lube chain, roll forward etc. until you're back around to the same link

+1 for my centre stand (was going to remove it)
            An option which takes less pushing and driveway is to jack up the bike on the swingarm just ahead of the brake arm mount. Kickstand down of course!

Comment

I love fluid film! I use it as my lubricant though... I clean/scrub with Dupont degreaser (Wal-Mart is the only place I can find it) and then spray with fluid film. It lasts much longer than other lubes I've tried, and it's clear, so it looks much cleaner longer too

Comment

All I use is Fluid Film, it works as a cleaner as well as a lube. Thats it, you need nothing else

And if you feel the need google it and do a little reading on it. I'm not a sales rep but it is amazing stuff.
                2002 750 Kat
                2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Install a wheel shield and just spray it down until it is soaked!!!

No seriously, don't do this.

I use maxima chain wax. just spray it on the inside of the visible chain and roll the bike forward and repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by dano68 View Post
                    All I use is Fluid Film, it works as a cleaner as well as a lube. Thats it, you need nothing else
                    +1
                    Extra life.

Comment

Proper Chain Care

It rains pretty much every day around here. If I was using a teflon based chain lub should I be checking the situation out on a regular basis? anyone wiht experience?

Originally posted by mektek View Post
                      An option which takes less pushing and driveway is to jack up the bike on the swingarm just ahead of the brake arm mount. Kickstand down of course!
                      I must have missed something, why is the centerstand not being used?
                      Last edited by KatRoar; 09-18-2013, 01:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by KatRoar View Post
                        I must have missed something, why is the centerstand not being used?
                        The center stand is not there. I bought my bike and it doesn't have the center stand.
                        First motorcycle - new project
                        1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
                          Install a wheel shield and just spray it down until it is soaked!!!
                          2002 GSXF 750

Comment

http://www.compacc.com/p/Wheel-Jocke...l-Tire-Rotator for bikes with no centerstand
                            Last edited by KAT TOY; 09-20-2013, 09:08 PM.
                            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

This might sound daft, but I've never really bothered cleaning chains. Not that fussed about what I use to lube it either. The way I see it, if you buy a good quality chain, it's well able to withstand what nature throws at it. I'm not a fan of spraying cleaning agents onto something that by definition should be oily. I'm pretty sure they're just something else for the bike shop to get you to spend money on... Paraffin, yes - if I could be arsed to go and buy some.

That said, I do have a little can of (used) engine oil that I apply once a week with a small paintbrush, then spray some waxy Yamalube gear on afterwards. That way the chain gets the best of both worlds, a smorgasbord of lubing!

Hey, it works for me
                              Don't trade it - upgrade it!

Comment

Cleaning the chain is important to get all the grit and sprocket shavings and all sorts of other crap out from between the plates. As it turns, all the crap in there can shred the o-rings, dumping your lube and ruining the chain.

You can just lube a chain and never clean it, it'll work fine - just not last as long or be as shiny I wouldn't use used engine oil though - all the teeny wee engine shavings in it will work their way into the rings

Comment

Working...
                                X