X

Arg I Hate changing tires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arg I Hate changing tires

Well I got my new front tire today and this was my first time doing a change my self. Iv watched other people do them with a changer and with hand tools. I do not have a changer so I went the hand tool way with two tire tools. First of a word of advice USE A RIM PROTECTOR! I said screw it Ill be careful. Oh how wrong I was. scratched the rim a bit getting the tire off. Nothing to bad, a bit of touch up paint will take care of that.
    The new tire was not hard getting the first part on. Half of the second side was easy then came the hard part, the last 6-10 inches. Ended up getting mad and scratching my rim more Finally I get the tire on and ready to set the beads. My buddy always complains about how its a pain to set them. I saw the fire trick with starting fluid. Hell thats awesome. Gave it a shot and lit. Bead does not set and now my rim is on fire. I wanted to do it the cool way.
    So I failed 2 times and then just used my compressor to pop it. Two bangs later and the bead is set no problem. Ok sweet put the wheel back on the bike and think to my self hmmm didn't go to bad. Then it hit me ##%%#%^!@@&& I did not balance the tire Arg what a time.
    Sorry for the rant. Anyone know if you can balance a front wheel while its on the bike? Also any tips?
    2005 Gsx600f- My baby
    1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
    Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

You need to put it on a wheel balancer so you can tell what side is heavier, if any. Not possible while it's on the bike.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

You think the trick with two jack stands and the wheel on the axle will be do-able? Iv never done a balance before and currently do not have the funds to take it to a shop.
      2005 Gsx600f- My baby
      Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

There are two things I do not do myself. Machine work and mounting and balancing tires. I don't do machine work because I don't have the proper equipment. I don't mount and balance tires because it's a serious PITA.

Comment

order dyna beads. No balancing needed, it does it itself automatically.
          sigpic

Comment

Will this way work?

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            There are two things I do not do myself. Machine work and mounting and balancing tires. I don't do machine work because I don't have the proper equipment. I don't mount and balance tires because it's a serious PITA.
            I wanted to give it a shot lol The only local shop I would bring anything from my bike too wanted $100 to mount the tire, I just couldn't come up with the funds. Live and learn I suppose. I now have new tools/ supplies to add to my garage. First thing is rim protectors
            Last edited by hinow41; 10-26-2011, 11:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            2005 Gsx600f- My baby

Comment

$100 to mount a balance a tire. The last time I had two done, it was $20. But I had that shop press in a bunch of bearings at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by mcssls View Post
                order dyna beads. No balancing needed, it does it itself automatically.
                Hmm these are very interesting. Have you used them?

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                $100 to mount a balance a tire. The last time I had two done, it was $20. But I had that shop press in a bunch of bearings at the same time.
                Thats what I was thinking. I could not believe it when the guy said it. I just walked out with my rim and tire. I get my cars tires mounted and balanced for about $15 a tire.
                Last edited by hinow41; 10-26-2011, 11:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                2005 Gsx600f- My baby

Comment

the stealership charges between $75-$86/hr. i have my local tire shop mount and dismount the tires for $10 but i balance them myself. just make sure and find a local tire show that does atv/motorcycles too. I got lucky that the local tire shop has motorcycle enthusiasts working there.
                  "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
                  1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
                  2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

You don't need to buy rim protectors.... just some heavy duty rubber hose, and slit it down the side. Don't use vinyl hose, because it will wear right through at the first sign of pressure from a tire iron (ask why I know this ).

For those last 10 inches of tire on the final bead, I use my bead breaker to get it on. Keep one side of the un-mounted part from rising up with an iron or a clamp or something, and then use the bead breaker on the other side, working in about 2 inches each time, pressing down on the sidewall of the tire. If you have a little lube on the wheel and tire, it will slip right on.

I tend to have much more trouble getting the old tire off than I do getting the new tire on. I learned how to mount tires on a machine, and I don't do enough motorcycle tires to get good at it with irons, so it's pretty awkward removing the old tires every time.

Originally posted by flash007 View Post
                    the stealership charges between $75-$86/hr. i have my local tire shop mount and dismount the tires for $10 but i balance them myself. just make sure and find a local tire show that does atv/motorcycles too. I got lucky that the local tire shop has motorcycle enthusiasts working there.
                    When I worked for a car customizing place, we would mount our own motorcycle tires on the machine, but we wouldn't do it for customers. Just too risky. You can really screw up with car wheels and they will be ok, but if you make a mistake on a bike wheel it will turn into a mess quickly.
                    Last edited by loudnlow7484; 10-27-2011, 12:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

For rim protectors I use flat pieces I cut from the side of a laundry detergent bottle.
                      Some tires go on easier than others. The last set I mounted, the 180/55 was a real pain. Should have been easy on a 5.5 inch rim but it wasn't. Took a spray bottle full of soapy water and some patience.

For balancing, use the jackstands and 1/4 oz stick-on weights. Works like a champ. I temp attach the weights with masking tape until I get everything in the right spots. Use a yellow grease pencil to mark the top of the wheel when it stops spinning and go at least three turns before attaching, moving or adding any weights.
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

The wheel bearings themselves aren't good enough to get a good static balance with.

I use the Parnes Balancer

Also I'm not sure what the temps were in NY yesterday, but I've noticed that it's MUCH harder to mount/balance tires when the temps are under 70*

The easiest time I've had was when it was over 80* and the tires sat in the sun for an hour before we got to them.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Dyna-beads work for balance, as does RV antifreeze. It's a dynamic balance instead of a static balance. I use RV antifreeze (like 3-4 oz per tire) for my Honda, and I have no complaints after 3000+ miles.

Speeds up to 75 or so with no noticeable tire vibration (it is a 500 single, so I've got vibration, but none that appear to be due to an out-of-balance tire).

Using a syringe you can get it into the tire through the valve stem by removing the valve core. Then replace the core, inflate as usual and off you go!

My Kat's not running yet, so no reports from me on this technique used on one, but it will be what I do when it is running.
                          Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
                          H. L. Mencken

Comment

If you have a cyclegear near you they charge $30 a tire which is the cheapest I have found anywhere I have lived. Some people have horror stories about getting their tires mounted there, but here in az I have had really good luck.

Comment

Where I live there are only a very few shops that will even mess with bike tires, soooo-they can charge you an arm and a leg to mount them. Most won't even touch the tires if you didn't buy them new from them. I paid $120 to have 2 tires mount & balanced but I feel it was money well-spent!
                              Still riding on back sissy girl???

Comment

Working...
                              X