X

First Bike... i wanna learn it all..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Bike... i wanna learn it all..

98 katana future owner here...whats up...

i hate been oblivious to whats wrong with the machines im working with..so i like to either search search search until nothing comes up...ask lots of question..until no one answers... if all fails ill teach myself...

supposedly it needs a new clutch... i will check if its not the tranny..i hope not....what are obvious signs i should be aware of... i know i should see if neutral works.. but what if its in neutral already?....

also its been sitting for a while... current owner has a r1 n has neglect this bike for a while now....what should be my first tasks.. im trying to hav it for this summer n possibly next one..till i learn more.. also wouldn't mind selling it on after im ready to get a newer bike... im thinking oil change obviously since im changing the clutch.. lube the chains... new petcock.. anything else?

im good with cars.. i will do this myself... but i cant find the service manuals... none of the links work...any suggestions?..

ive been lurking around...seen a hayabusa style seat cowl...where can i get it?... i only found the smaller cowl which isn't that appealing to me...

thanks...and hope this site is

sure enough... one link did work...just took forever to load...

i believe this is what i need to read page 2-33

if someone with experience can approve of this...thanks
    Last edited by JterrorC; 05-31-2011, 05:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Clymer

Clymer makes manuals for these bikes. Do a search n it shouldn't be a problem. You can find lots of how-to's on here too. Just use that search function. If you don't find it there, someone will probably help you out. Good luck with the bike!

Comment

Welcome!
      Kats are known to have trouble with 2nd gear if they've been abused. If you have trouble getting it into 2nd gear then you're probably looking at a transmission rebuild. I'll do a lot on a bike but so far I've avoided touching the tranny like the plague. A bad experience with VWs tought me that. (My personal phobia.)

If the bike won't go into 2nd gear I'd probably walk away unless the price was good enough to afford dropping in a new engine.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        Welcome!
        Kats are known to have trouble with 2nd gear if they've been abused. If you have trouble getting it into 2nd gear then you're probably looking at a transmission rebuild. I'll do a lot on a bike but so far I've avoided touching the tranny like the plague. A bad experience with VWs tought me that. (My personal phobia.)

If the bike won't go into 2nd gear I'd probably walk away unless the price was good enough to afford dropping in a new engine.
        +1 Couldn't have said it better.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

If the seller had an R1 in a" state of attention"......it should send a signal. All you're doing right now is right..... now consider new plugs, and cleaning and synching the carbs. Then.............. enjoy the ride With a little manna from "above", there won't be a 2nd gear issue.
          Last edited by Slofuze; 05-31-2011, 09:55 PM.
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Welcome to KR!
            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Welcome!
              sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
              1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
              2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
              First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
              Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

thanks guys.. ill update when i see the bike and turn it on..

Comment

Welcome from Ohio...you are definitely in the right place to learn about the Katana. These guys/gals on here have been a wealth of knowledge to me so far.

Comment

so this is the seat cowl im talking about... but its a pretty penny..is he (andy) the only vendor?

Last edited by JterrorC; 06-02-2011, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Welcome to KR
                      "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
                      1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
                      2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Welcome to KR from NC!!!

Comment

thanks for the welcoming guys..

bike moves in neutral n all but no battery so couldnt turn it on.. quick question..if the clutch is bad and i try turning the engine on...is it possible it could jump in gear?

Comment

Only if it's not in neutral.
                            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

so as long as the bike can roll.. im good to turn it on..got it thanks.. cept one thing.. i stepped on the gear peddle and cant get it back in neutral... whoops... i cant feel it..i go straight to second..

or

is this the order of the plates? .. can somone tell me which part numbers is needed for a burnt clutch...how would i kno if its just the friction plates.. or if i have to change the springs and the steel plate?
                              Last edited by JterrorC; 06-03-2011, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X