X

Chain Lube Brand?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain Lube Brand?

I recently bought my 1st bike, a GSX700F. I put a bit under 125mi on it, though I don't know when the last time the chain was lubed was, but the bike only has 3200 on it ('97). Now I've heard from some people (and am not sure if this is true), that you have to lube the chain every 500mi, which leads me to a few questions:
    A) Is that true, you lube the chain every 500mi?
    B) When do you go and look at and possibly adjust the chain, every 1.5k or so? Every time you lube it? And what exactly are you looking for in terms of "play" in the chain - I read something on here about getting people to pre-load the rear end before checking it - if you're not doing GP racing with the thing, is that all necessary? Is there any way to tell just by pressing on it, like a chainsaw chain?
    C) How many miles can you expect out of a chain (life), assuming it's lubed when it should be?
    D) What brand/kind of chain lube should I look for? Looking for something I can buy on motorcycle superstore or bike bandit or something, not some local 1 store type stuff..
    '97 Civic EX - Secondary car
    '97 GSX 750F (Katana) - sold
    '04 Yamaha R1 - sold
    '82 CM450 - Carb problems :'(
    '05 SRT4 - Daily/AutoX monster

I never use lube,I like to use chain wax less fling off cleaner wheels.
    A. I wax the chain every 1000 miles
    B.When I wax the chain I check slack at the same time if it is more that 1 inch I will adjust.Press up from the bottom of the chain.
    C.Depends on how you ride,aggressive less life,easy more life.

Comment

A.) My general rule is the following:
      -1- O-ring chains: clean/lube every 400 miles or so. (You can go longer without issue, but this is my personal preference)
      -2- non o-ring chains: lube every 100 miles, or every tank of gas; clean and relube every 300 or 400 miles.

B.) Check it every time you think about it. Adjust as needed. There are general rules for chain tension that are fine. Compressing the suspension fully is helpful if you've altered the ride height, so you can set the chain tension knowing that it won't stretch the chain when fully compressed.

C.) This will vary wildly depending on brand, construction, what bike it's on, how you ride, and how you take care of it. A poorly maintained cheap non o-ring chain might last 1000 miles, while a well maintained top quality x-ring chain might last 20,000 miles.

D.) This also, depends. What kind of chain is on it? For a non o-ring chain, I've used countless cans of whatever chain lube I can find, engine oil, hot gear oil, chainsaw bar oil..... I'm not picky. For o-ring chains I'd suggest using a good quality o-ring specific lube, to make sure you aren't putting anything harmful on them. Some people swear by waxes, but I've never used them.... it just doesn't seem right. PJ1 makes a lube that comes highly recommended by a lot of people.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Maxima Chain Wax. What I and all of my sport bike friends use. They swear by it, and I've never had a reason to use anything different.
        sigpic

Comment

So I guess the next question is how do I find out what kind of chain I have..?

I googled images of O ring chains and they all kinda look the same to me as any other standard bike chain...I googled the X ring chains and they look the same as well..what am I missing?
          '04 Yamaha R1 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by Syndacate View Post
            So I guess the next question is how do I find out what kind of chain I have..?

I googled images of O ring chains and they all kinda look the same to me as any other standard bike chain...I googled the X ring chains and they look the same as well..what am I missing?
            That && A friend from work suggested DuPont Teflon Lube - anybody have any experience with that?
            '04 Yamaha R1 - sold

Comment

This is what I use....I take a smaller wire brush and scrub the dirt and crap off my chain ~500 miles.

Also here is a little review on it.

Bigger can runs ~$8-$9

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
                This is what I use....I take a smaller wire brush and scrub the dirt and crap off my chain ~500 miles.
                Never use a wire brush on an O-ring chain, you will destroy the O-Ring.

I lubed at least every tank of fuel. Cleaned when I felt like it. Adjust as needed. Checked the slack every time I get on the bike. Which lube, well, I had the best results from Motul Chain Lube Road. My second go to was the Dupont Teflon lube.

I've now gone to a Loobman chain oiler, and using whatever old oil I have sitting on the shelf. So much easier.
                Pics
                Pics
                No pics yet
                Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                  Never use a wire brush on an O-ring chain, you will destroy the O-Ring.

Thats news to me....Your the first person that has ever said there is a problem with that, motorcycle shops included.

Comment

Sure, why would they tell you...they get you to buy a new chain more often!

Motul Road chain lube is all I use.
                    2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
                    BMC Notorious 918 HT
                    2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

So then what do you wise guys do to get the 'crap' off before you lube...and dont say kerosene because I cant get that any where around here

Comment

You cant get no kerosene? Sheeeeewwt, we'kn pick thayt up at thuh lokal wal mayrt

Comment

Wd40...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                          You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
                            So then what do you wise guys do to get the 'crap' off before you lube...and dont say kerosene because I cant get that any where around here
                            I use an old toothbrush if I must scrub, but there are many options for solvents.
                            Pics
                            Pics
                            No pics yet
                            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

yeah, guess i should have added ' and a nylon bristled brush' to my previous post....

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                              You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Working...
                              X