X

Chain lube wheel shield

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
    Learn to ride. Even at track I will use mainly the front on a MUCH lighter sport bike with geometry when braking hard and fast for corners. Rarely do I use the rear unless I am braking through a turn or I am going off the track so that my fronts can cool. Seriously you will not endo a Kat without a ton other things going wrong at the same time. Seriously don't go spewing crap in a thread that already has an idiot posting....He might take it as fact when you are wrong.

To the OP. Spend the $5 and buy store lube and your issues will diminish. Get chain wax if you do not want fling. I personaly use black label chain lube and have no fling. I will lube my chain before heading onto the track so I guarantee you I am spooling up my chain and tires a lot worse then you ever experience.

So stop being a dumbass and trying to kill yourself and others out there. If you think that adding weight to one side of a tire will not unbalance it then you are just showing your low IQ. If you want to be a moron and risk your own life fine but do it in your own home and not where innocent bystanders can be injured.
    Exactly... On a lighter sport bike.. On touring bikes (and heavier) the weight tends to be towards the middle or even rear of the bike (especially when you have someone on the back or luggage) in which case you want to apply BOTH brakes... Or are an assortment of different articles in various magazines wrong?

On the roads I tend to use rarely any brake and attempt to engine brake as much as possible, even allowing the revs to dip almost to stall (have learned how to listen to the bike and know exactly when you are almost at the stall point). When I do this, I find it easier to use the rear brake to activate the brake lights to be more visible.

I high sided a GS500 when I was learning.. That was seriously no fun.
    Last edited by numus; 09-09-2013, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Those assortment of articles state that 70+percent of your braking force is your front brakes. Under normal circumstances rear is not needed. Emergency stop then you want to use both. It is best habit to lightly use rear all the time Street riding so when emergency happens you will use both but under 99% of riding it is useless and should not be relied upon as braking force.

Kat is not like a low riding Chopper which does put more onus on rear. Sounds like you need msf class... but then again you are in fl so come to another state to take it. ..
      I am a Penn State fanatic.
      Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

I guess I've been doing it wrong for the last 40 years. I may have to subscibe to those magazines............. not!
        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
        ------------------------------------------
        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Those assortment of articles state that 70+percent of your braking force is your front brakes. Under normal circumstances rear is not needed. Emergency stop then you want to use both. It is best habit to lightly use rear all the time Street riding so when emergency happens you will use both but under 99% of riding it is useless and should not be relied upon as braking force.

Kat is not like a low riding Chopper which does put more onus on rear. Sounds like you need msf class... but then again you are in fl so come to another state to take it. ..
          Actually I have been riding for years and did take an MSL years ago. Honestly you shouldn't really need brake ever, if you do you are probably following a car to close. On hill starts I use 100% back brake, then transition to clutch almost at the disengage point and throttle to start.

The assumption that all of Florida is bad shows ignorance. Come to Tallahassee sometime if you haven't been, we actually have twisty, hilly roads and nice canopy rides.

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
          I guess I've been doing it wrong for the last 40 years. I may have to subscibe to those magazines............. not!
          Nice to see the standard Katriders assumption that "I am right and everyone is wrong" is still alive and strong.

Comment

If you are engine braking like that then you have way more issues with your riding. Taking the bike that low dies not allow for in turn adjustments or other changes. You really need some training before you high side yet Again

Comment

If you are engine braking like that then you have way more issues with your riding. Taking the bike that low dies not allow for in turn adjustments or other changes. You really need some training before you high side yet Again

Please explain because your statement made absolutely no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
                Actually I have been riding for years and did take an MSL years ago. Honestly you shouldn't really need brake ever, if you do you are probably following a car to close. On hill starts I use 100% back brake, then transition to clutch almost at the disengage point and throttle to start.

The assumption that all of Florida is bad shows ignorance. Come to Tallahassee sometime if you haven't been, we actually have twisty, hilly roads and nice canopy rides.

Nice to see the standard Katriders assumption that "I am right and everyone is wrong" is still alive and strong.
                Your breaking concepts ate horrible and wrong. You should start a bike gang with the op as you are made for one another.

The assumption of Florida riders being idiots is proven time and time again by posts like those in this thread

Comment

Your breaking concepts ate horrible and wrong. You should start a bike gang with the op as you are made for one another.

The assumption of Florida riders being idiots is proven time and time again by posts like those in this thread
                  Thank you gods gift to all things motorcycle. Your attitude is that of a condescending douchebag that thinks they can never learn something from anyone and always have to be right.

Find out which Yamaha is right for you. Find A Local Dealer Today, View Inventory, Get Prices & More. Models: R7, MT-07, Tenere 700, MT-03, YZ250F.

BTW try reading sometime... But it is a good thing to know that you disagree with MSF eventho you claim I need to take an MSF course (which I have already taken).

Comment

Please explain because your statement made absolutely no sense.
                    Of you do not understand how to use engine braking then don't. You want to use it during maneuvers to adjust lines without upsetting suspension like breaking would. The way you are using it is wrong and detrimental to the ride. You either need to get more training or ride with someone who knows wtf they are doing.

Thank you gods gift to all things motorcycle. Your attitude is that of a condescending douchebag that thinks they can never learn something from anyone and always have to be right.
                    I learn all the time buti learn from those who know and don't go spewing bad advice like you have done the times now in this thread
                    Last edited by soulpatch; 09-09-2013, 08:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Of you do not understand how to use engine braking then don't. You want to use it during maneuvers to adjust lines without upsetting suspension like breaking would. The way you are using it is wrong and detrimental to the ride. You either need to get more training or ride with someone who knows wtf they are doing.

I learn all the time buti learn from those who know and don't go spewing bad advice like you have done the times now in this thread
                      As I already posted, MSF disagrees with you http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/track...e-braking.html but good to know you think MSF is wrong.

Comment

Find out which Yamaha is right for you. Find A Local Dealer Today, View Inventory, Get Prices & More. Models: R7, MT-07, Tenere 700, MT-03, YZ250F.

BTW try reading sometime... But it is a good thing to know that you disagree with MSF eventho you claim I need to take an MSF course (which I have already taken).

I never said not to engine brake. I said you ate doing it wrong to be going towards stall. Engine braking is meant to slow bike without upsetting bike and to keep you in power band for exit of turn our when you wish to get back on it. You do neither the easy you are doing it.

Come to the rally and I would be more then happy to show you. Seriously I am not trying to be abrasive but you are giving bad situational advice

Comment

Total threadjack.......... I'm just pointing out that you might want to accept advice from people who have ridden Kats and sport-bikes. Truth be told, I only use my rear on ocassion coming to a stop to make sure the piston's freed up. Other than that, it's always my front brakes, engine braking, downshifting to rev-match....... regardless if I'm carrying a passenger. We're trying to help you, so why not try it....
                          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                          ------------------------------------------
                          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I never said not to engine brake. I said you ate doing it wrong to be going towards stall. Engine braking is meant to slow bike without upsetting bike and to keep you in power band for exit of turn our when you wish to get back on it. You do neither the easy you are doing it.

Come to the rally and I would be more then happy to show you. Seriously I am not trying to be abrasive but you are giving bad situational advice
                            Stall might have been the wrong word. I take it down to a little over idle and then grab the clutch and then shift into neutral. The sound I listen for is around the point that acceleration in the current gear is worthless without downshifting (I usually notice it when dipping below 2.5-3k RPM).

I also find I would rather be in gear when approaching a light/traffic because more and more people tend to not pay attention (stupid cell phones) and I want to be a good gear to lane split in an emergency (if that is my only option).

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                            Total threadjack.......... I'm just pointing out that you might want to accept advice from people who have ridden Kats and sport-bikes. Truth be told, I only use my rear on ocassion coming to a stop to make sure the piston's freed up. Other than that, it's always my front brakes, engine braking, downshifting to rev-match....... regardless if I'm carrying a passenger. We're trying to help you, so why not try it....
                            I find rear is easier to flash the brake light and when stopped uphill. Downhill I find it easier to use front and let the bike roll (by slowing releasing both the front and clutch).
                            Last edited by numus; 09-09-2013, 08:45 PM.

Comment

If you are coming to a stop or close to it use brakes. They allow for emergency situations and are cheaper to replace then clutches... You are in wrong situation for engine braking at that point.

Just saying you are giving bad advice as your habits are wrong in those particular situations.

Comment

After I read the first post that was enough for me. this is done.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Working...
                                X