X

plastic doesn't align with tank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plastic doesn't align with tank

I've been playing with my bike since it got cold and wanted to make it look super nice. Making my own integrated turn signals, taking motor apart and adjusting everything, carb cleaning and sync. Im taking pics along the way because everything I do, is learned from this site and want you guys to see how good it looks because of all your help. Anyway, my plastic has a huge gap around the tank all the way around on both sides, any ideas, pretty sure it was wrecked or droped really hard. Any help will be greatly apreciated.

Mitch
    Attached Files
    Last edited by shadowspartin; 01-31-2010, 09:44 PM.

mine has about an 1/8 to 3/16 gap all the way around but i now mine was wrecked but was supposodly swaped frames and i find no wrinkled or cracked paint so i dont think anything is bent
    1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

There are a couple of things you can do to "tighten" that up. Adjust the rear tank mount braket by tweaking the shape a little. Check/reduce the amount of rubber under the tank mount points. Basically, your looking at dropping the tank a little bit by doing this. The idea behind those would be to lower the tank but keep the fairings at the same height closeing the gap some.

Also check the mountings of the fairings... sometimes the holes are larger than the mounting screws/spacers being used. If this is the case, the fairings are generally allowed to "drop" down onto the mounts before being tightened up, making a larger gap at the top between the tank. You may be able to fix it all/take most of it out that way.

Finally, check the mounting brakets to make sure they are not bent/warped to further cause the issue.

Items listed above in no paticular order, so pick the ones you think will be easiest to resolve first.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Is that with all of the bolts fully attached? You should also have a piece of weatherstripping that runs the length of the fairing that borders the tank.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
        -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Originally posted by Free Coffee View Post
          Is that with all of the bolts fully attached? You should also have a piece of weatherstripping that runs the length of the fairing that borders the tank.
          I also have a piece of weatherstripping that runs the length of my fairing which takes up most of that gap.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigerd View Post
            I also have a piece of weatherstripping that runs the length of my fairing which takes up most of that gap.
            Too old to dream, too young to reason...
            I am fond of my rough edges.
            sigpic

Comment

Well it's not THAT big, but definately occupies some of that space. Unless there's been a serious issue with the bike- I don't see why just making sure everything is alligned/installed correctly shouldn't fix most of the prob.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
              -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Originally posted by David F C View Post
                mine has weather stripping too. it came off quite easily, so i glued it at the ends a little. im sure you could pick some upat the hardware or autoparts store
                previous rides
                06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
                next ride - another kat

Comment

No weather strip on mine. First kat and bike for that matter. I'm going to town on making this look better than a cbr or gixxer, so I'm being real picky. It's not bad just enough for me to see its not right, I'll look for some weather stripping, thanks for the help guys

Comment

Working...
                  X