No announcement yet.
X

suspension

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The suspension was made for a 160 lbs rider at best. And with the 10 years of wear an tear the OP's suspension has, I doubt it would be good for a rider of that weight anymore.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by Pugga View Post
      but what's wrong with it for the everyday rider?
      It's total crap
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

The front forks has weak springs for the rider weights. No adjustablility, what they make you think is adjustable doesn't work for crap.

The rear shock is also under sprung generally for the rider weight, the rebound is non-existant, and again... no adjustability unless you have the 750 and on those... again what they make you think is adjustable doesn't work for crap.

On a pre kat it is very likely the rear shock stopped working as a shock long ago...

For example, lots of people on stock suspensions talk about "scraping pegs" on the curves... that's a direct example of a poor suspenion. The rear isn't rebounding enough through the curves and droppes the rear as you go... eventually making for a sluggish response and scraping pegs/exhaust on the ground because the rear isn't rebounding approprioately. This leaves you also with a situation where the damping is comprimised because the shock is already half compressed.

Hands down, an improved suspension makes the bikes a completely different ride and extreamly more enjoyable.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          It's total crap
          Care to elaborate or just going with the blanket statement that it sucks...

For a commuter, I didn't think it was THAT bad. Once you start laying it into corners there is a lot of room for improvement but for a relatively inexpensive sport-style bike I didn't think the suspension was terrible. I guess I've never been on a bike with the suspension set up for me though either...

Comment

Care to elaborate or just going with the blanket statement that it sucks...

For a commuter, I didn't think it was THAT bad. Once you start laying it into corners there is a lot of room for improvement but for a relatively inexpensive sport-style bike I didn't think the suspension was terrible. I guess I've never been on a bike with the suspension set up for me though either...
            What do you weigh? That has a lot to do with it also.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
              What do you weigh? That has a lot to do with it also.
              About 180 lbs and I've got a 2002 750. The front forks seem a little weak but other than that I haven't really noticed anything that really stands out as horrible in my opinion. I realize there are always improvements that can be made but the way some of you guys are talking it should be torn down and redone the second you get the bike regardless of riding ability/style.

Comment

About 180 lbs and I've got a 2002 750. The front forks seem a little weak but other than that I haven't really noticed anything that really stands out as horrible in my opinion. I realize there are always improvements that can be made but the way some of you guys are talking it should be torn down and redone the second you get the bike regardless of riding ability/style.
                No, that isn't what we are saying.

We are saying that if your going to rate the suspension between 1 = unsafe and 10= OMG, this is amazing... the stock suspension rates about a 3, maybe 4 if it's newer and in good condition. After about 5 years of use... and generally speaking most times with kats it's abused as people don't do the maintenance it needs... you get down to about a 2 or even 1 on some.

It's not OEM setup as a decent touring suspension, even though it's on a tour bike. It's way undersprung for that type of use.

It's not OEM setup as a sporty suspension. Not even close there.

It's a "cheap" suspension setup. It barely works for what it is, but it does work enough to "fool" those that don't know.

Honestly... I didn't know until I got edumacated...

If all you use the bike for is riding down the highway, then your probably not really "pushing" the suspension to notice something is wrong... it's not right, but that use wouldn't nessasarily jump out at you as something wrong. If you rode your bike vs someone's duplicate with a good suspension, you would be amazed the difference.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok, so what type/brand of suspension do you recommend for an 03 Kat 600? What would I be looking at for a price? How long would it likely take a mechanic to replace?
                  Last edited by Jcates888; 03-22-2012, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcates888 View Post
                    Ok, so what type/brand of suspension do you recommend for an 03 Kat 600? What would I be looking at for a price? How long would it likely take a mechanic to replace?
                    Once again. Stock suspension with the correct springs and oil, and cartridge emulators. Talk to Tmod for pricing. There is no bolt on suspension that will be correct for your weight, unless you can find someone that has modified theirs for your weight range.
                    Last edited by 05RedKat600; 03-22-2012, 03:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

For a commuter, I didn't think it was THAT bad..
                      Not being that THAT bad is a far cry from being a decent set up.

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      It's a "cheap" suspension setup. It barely works for what it is, but it does work enough to "fool" those that don't know.

Honestly... I didn't know until I got edumacated...
                      1992- project katfighter
                      2005- GSXR750
                      2001- TL1000R
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

So what kind of springs and cartridge emulators? I think everything about my suspension is stock and everyone else seems to be saying there is a LOT of room for improvement over stock. I'm not that big of a guy (only about 165lbs 5'7"ish). All I know is that my pegs do scrape on occasion and someone mentioned suspension could be a factor. Really, I'm just wondering how much improvement there is to be had and how I might achieve it.

Comment

So what kind of springs and cartridge emulators? I think everything about my suspension is stock and everyone else seems to be saying there is a LOT of room for improvement over stock. I'm not that big of a guy (only about 165lbs 5'7"ish). All I know is that my pegs do scrape on occasion and someone mentioned suspension could be a factor. Really, I'm just wondering how much improvement there is to be had and how I might achieve it.
                          How much improvement? Night and day. You'll want a new shock, and 08+ R6 is a good option but it will lower the back end a touch, there are other choices depending on your price range. Properly rated springs and emulators for the front forks.

There is a lot to know about how to get the suspension right. Most folks around here will admit that I know a lot about a lot, but It all started blurring together for me when the suspension specifics, so I asked Tmod what I needed and what my options were for certain budget amounts. He told me what parts and how much money to send him and I got back a shock (and soon forks) that are bolt on and already set up for what I need.

I've commented in other threads about how huge the change was/is for my bike, I won't go into it again except to say it's a completely different bike to ride.
                          Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

$114.95 for RaceTech springs
                            $60 abouts for good oil and replacement seals
                            $166.99 for the Gold Vavle Cartridge Emulator kit

and labor for tear down and putting it all back together unless you instal yourself.

That's the front.

Rear spring is a little more complicated. You really need someone like Tmod to do the work there as it's generally going to be modified from OEM to get an afordable option. Putting a post 750 Tmod special modified shock will be alot more affordable than getting an aftermarket rear shock. ALOT more affordable.

The R6 shock mentioned is only an option for the Pre kats... 97 and earlier. Doesn't work for the post kat config.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

I guess I've never been on a bike with the suspension set up for me though either...
                              Thats why you dont realize how pitiful it is...

Ever ridden a GSXR?
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                                Thats why you dont realize how pitiful it is...

Ever ridden a GSXR?
                                Nope, previous bike was an older CBR. The CBR felt a lot more comfortable in a corner than the Kat but I'm sure the old beat up suspension from the CBR was pretty worn out. It was a 1990 CBR 600 with 25k miles.

Comment

Working...
                                X