X

Hayabusa VS KAT

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hayabusa VS KAT

I am new to riding this year. Logged 1200 miles on a 150cc scooter and 1100 on my 2003 Kat 600 that I've owned for about a month now. I have been thinking about upgrading to a Busa.

First off, I know that I probably don't have the time under my belt for a bike like that but I'm going to do whatever I decide anyway

First and foremost I want a bike that is comfortable for an all day ride.

I have not ridden on many other sport bikes, but sat on a few and none of the others compare to the comfort of my Kat.

So my questions are if I keep the Kat:

- I'd like the acceleration / power band to kick in faster in the 0-60 range of the Kat if I keep it. Is there anything I can do to greatly increase this. I hate the power band not kicking in to 6500RPM. I don't care if I loose top end. Also need the bike to be running cool at all day at highway speeds of 65-80mph if this requires gear changes or re jetting.

- Is the Hayabusa comfortable riding all day. Is it more comfortable than the Katanna at highway speeds? And is the Kat most likely the most comfortable sport touring bike made???

It sucks that I found out that bikes ROCK and cages suck. I have 14 cars...4 of which are Lamborghini and Ferrari kits...and I could care less if I drive them ever again compared to riding a bike.

Thanks for a great KAT forum...I have learned a lot reading so far!!!

Re: Hayabusa VS KAT

Originally posted by testarossa
    So my questions are if I keep the Kat:

- I'd like the acceleration / power band to kick in faster in the 0-60 range of the Kat if I keep it. Is there anything I can do to greatly increase this. I hate the power band not kicking in to 6500RPM. I don't care if I loose top end. Also need the bike to be running cool at all day at highway speeds of 65-80mph if this requires gear changes or re jetting.

- Is the Hayabusa comfortable riding all day. Is it more comfortable than the Katanna at highway speeds? And is the Kat most likely the most comfortable sport touring bike made???
    1) Smaller front sprocket, larger rear sprocket.

2) Hayabusa for all day riding? One of the members here did an ungodly amount of miles in days on his Busa. http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35892

3) Busa as your next bike? Probably not a good idea, but if you're gonna do what you want to do just play it safe.

Long Live the D

Comment

Re: Hayabusa VS KAT

change sprocket

according to 3rd party...busa is comfortable.
      Kat most comfortable?....def makes top 5 list
      -Chris V.

Comment

Ill go with the sprocket change. I have +2 on the rear of my pre, and it helped although it have taken about 7 – 10 miles of the top (it now goes 1000 rpm more than before at 50 mph).

About the Busa.. well – I don’t know what skill you have, but a bigger bike often call out to the little boy within.. meaning – more horsepower = faster riding. What I’m trying to say is.. the Busa (and its equals) need a experienced rider – IMHO…
        Greetings from the Land of milk and Honey – well yes... and Lego...

------------------------
        95 Katana 600
        05 BETA 270 rev3

Comment

I got a 15 tooth on the front and a 50 on the rear... I lost about 20mph off the top end but since the kat is a heavier bike than most other sport bikes I would take the RR bike off the line to about 60mph... The kat's got the weight to keep the front on the ground and launch it harder... I got a K&N air filter, a yosh slip on pipe, and re jetted the carbs and am running the 1/4 mile in 12.4 seconds @ 107mph all day consistantly. Other than what I've done if you want more get ready to sink some serious money into it or get a faster bike. There's my 2 cents hope I've helped ya!
          ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸

``·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´

Comment

If you were to get a 'Busa (or any big bore bike) without the riding experience most people will say you should have, there is one thing you MUST have. It is called RESTRAINT! A big bore bike like the Busa will gain speed so effortlessly that you can get into serious trouble very quickly (and im not talking trouble with the law).
            It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

I hope you're not giving in to peer pressure. I say keep the kat at least a year or more before tackling a monster like the busa. the kat vs. busa is a HUGE difference. you are effectively doubling everything. horsepower,acceleration ect. so you need more experience to handle it. i've heard many folks say "oh I know the risks, I'll be careful" only to read in a later post that they were injured or killed. like you said it's your decision and you'll do what you want, but i'd get some more experience if I were you. sounds like money is no object for you, so why not find a riding/racing school near you that could teach you the skills you need to ride a bike like that.

Comment

I agree with Katana Bob. We're talking about a 600/750cc motor vs. a 1300cc engine. That's like going from a Corvette to an F1 car.. They are completely different animals.

I might be outta line here but this whole thread seems to have some squidly-ness to it.
                The only reason I get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

My kitchen is Burgandy. I don't apologize.

Comment

I'd say, run a completely different direction.
                  You're after comfort and a little more power? Go sport touring.
                  BMW, Triumph, Aprilia, Honda, Yamaha all make great sport touring bikes. Futura, VFR800, FJR1300, etc.

Any of those will be a bit quicker, and very comfortable.
                  Live and Lean.
                  When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
                  "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
                  Romans 3:23

Comment

Kat? Busa? Sport touring? How 'bout all three? Presenting...

the 1988 Katana 1100. The Busa of it's day- with 137 hp, stock, and some good mods, perhaps it could give a Busa a run for it's money.
                    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasquatch
                      If you were to get a 'Busa (or any big bore bike) without the riding experience most people will say you should have, there is one thing you MUST have. It is called RESTRAINT! A big bore bike like the Busa will gain speed so effortlessly that you can get into serious trouble very quickly (and im not talking trouble with the law).
                      I would say you need a few more things, to total:
                      1. Restraint.
                      2. Life insurance.
                      3. Living and traditional will.
                      4. Medical power of attorney (sometime the living will work for this).
                      5. Medical insurance (either good heath care or a healthy amount on your motorcycle policy)
                      No order. You should have all of these squared away the day you pick up the 'busa.

Also (and I know I run the risk of sounding like a jerk) try to make sure we don't hear about it when you have an accident. It's happened too many times. Getting tired of it..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                        Also (and I know I run the risk of sounding like a jerk) try to make sure we don't hear about it when you have an accident. It's happened too many times. Getting tired of it..
                        too many people have upgraded to a bigger bore bike and crashed it a week later. some of them didn't make it.
                        myspace
                        2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

First off, I am not judging your wishes. I simply want you to be truthful with yourself and those that love you. It is one thing to say that you ride a Busa and another for your mom to say she had a son that rode one of those sporty bikes.

I must say that I respect your forward approach telling us that you will do what you want anyway. But I have to ask you if you are truly ready to take on the challenge that such a powerful bike is going to present you with?

Have you mastered the art of riding and just outgrew the Kat? I seriously doubt that with your very limited seat time you have been able to do so and are truly ready for mind blowing power.

I seem to get the impression that this is more about ego than anything else. Hopefully I am wrong, but truly if it is, don't waste your money modifying your Kat - you will become bored of it because it has not satisfied your real need.

Whether you are ready or not, the qualities you are looking for in a bike are available in many other products that have already been mentioned above so explore ALL your options before you jump on any mighty machine.

A piece of advice. We don't always get what we want and sometimes we don't want what we get. If you don't understand this ideology take a walk down the hall of any hospital ward.
                          R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Originally posted by TheKlic
                            I'd say, run a completely different direction.
                            You're after comfort and a little more power? Go sport touring.
                            BMW, Triumph, Aprilia, Honda, Yamaha all make great sport touring bikes. Futura, VFR800, FJR1300, etc.

Any of those will be a bit quicker, and very comfortable.

Don't forget the new Connie... Beautiful rework of a classic sport/tourer.

"Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

One vehicle that hasn't been mentioned is the Bandit 1200 or even the new 1250. But since you have a 2003 model I'm assuming you're going used, therefore the 1200 model.

If you want comfort, power, i.e. torque, with moderate weight the Bandit is one to consider. It has many accesories available for it and a loyal following at Maximum Suzuki.

I did have a chance to sit on both a Hayabusa and a Kawisaki ZZR1200 at the dealer awhile back and the Kawasaki was definatley, for me, more comfortable.
                              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
                              X