X

cyber you will know this....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigbike-r
    well ive taken the ones that were causing stiffness out but its too darn difficult to find them all...... it has freed up a little though not much........ what do you guys think to me being towed to bump it off to get the engine turning and letting the cams wear themselves into the caps..... i dont think it will cause too much sloppyness as they seem snug as a bug anyway ..........
    I would feel really bad about that idea..
    You could completely toast the top end.

Comment

why?? it is much free'er now i think it should be k... and if i do toast the top end ...... well im gonna ave to get a new head if i dont anyway???

i cant see it harming it trying to wear them in
      i pitty the fool that dont ride oldskool

Comment

Well it's your bike..
        You never "wear" an item in. You can lap it in. Use some compound to finely match grind the surfaces and leave a set clearance. But what you have are parts so tight that they may squeeze out the oil. Then the parts could gaul or seize, basically weld themselves together.

Your rings and sleeves wear each other to a matched fit but those are different situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
          Well it's your bike..
          You never "wear" an item in. You can lap it in. Use some compound to finely match grind the surfaces and leave a set clearance. But what you have are parts so tight that they may squeeze out the oil. Then the parts could gaul or seize, basically weld themselves together.

Your rings and sleeves wear each other to a matched fit but those are different situations.
          +1 however if you do decide to "wear them in" let us know how it turns out

Comment

lol................ or if ya brake it let us know.... if ya dont, good on ya

there must be a way round this where i dont have to go out and buy a new head when ive got both sets of caps here just dont kow how to figure wich ones are from wich head!

Comment

there must be a way round this where i dont have to go out and buy a new head
              I'm thinking brother! I'm thinking!!

Comment

that makes 2 of us
                the cams look like theres plenty of lubrication under the caps when removed so im wondering if thats safe enough to try bumping off....

either that or a new engine is what im thinkin as i can prob get a new engine for cheaper than just a head!

Comment

Here is what you got:
                  Pic A is what you want. The inside diameter of the cap and base very close to the outside diameter of the cam shaft.

Pic B is you. Tiny misalignment pinching the cam shaft (red).

Pic 3 is what you could end up with. An egg shaped cap and base (best case)

This is exaggerated to make it easy to see, but you get the point..

Comment

hmmmmmm ........................... need ideas

no1 on here ever done this before i take it ??

Comment

i think i have it

right if i take the cams out and screw on the caps without the cams in..... then look down the bore of the holes where the cam lies.... i should be able to see widch ones are not sitting correctly...... will this work or will the difference be so small it wont be visible???

have i cracked it????? oh please tell me i have!!!!!

( well no.... dont if it wont work )

Comment

I think ya did Danny, When i pulled my Cams out of my pre 98 engine, i accidently swapped a few around, so i played around with them until i lined them back up. Too bad I have my engine packed up right now (The entire Project bike is being moved atm) or i could go digital some pics for ya.

Comment

or......... i just so have a spare set of cams layin round if i grind them up so i have just the parets that sit under the caps i can take my cams out and bolt these pieces in and turn each piece seperately to find the nes causing stiffness????

gawd my brain is on overtime tonite!

Comment

right if i take the cams out and screw on the caps without the cams in..... then look down the bore of the holes where the cam lies....
                            You might be able to feel it better.. You can feel a few thousands on an inch but have to have more like tens of thousands..

Comment

but it will find me the caps i need to swap?????

oh hell yeah i just may have it sorted..... till tomorra!!
                              ill let u no how it goes

hurraaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Comment

Everyone seems to have gotten you on the right track. Once you swap them around until you get the right ones in place again, smear 'em with a bit of gear oil or a very fine layer of moly before you set the cams in place, so they're not dry on start-up. You may also want to double-check to make sure the jets under the cams are not blocked and are clean & free.

Cheers,
                                =-= The CyberPoet
                                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                                X