No announcement yet.
X

My 82 Kat 750 resto mod thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I have not updated this thread in a while and figure it is about time. The parts list is growing every week.

Parts so far includes: 93 GSXR front end, CBR954 triple, B12 swing, Rob's B12 bushings, new windscreen from Rob, 93 GSXR rims, 94 Gsxr front rotors, rebuilt calipers, 93 rear brake and bracket, new right side lower fairing, and the list goes on.

I also just got my frame back from the welder. And I am pleased with his work. I found that it was not cheap but I got his name from and local guy who builds gsxr based drag bike and the guy is his welder. I figure if John (racer) can trust him with his 9 second bikes. It will be done right.

I made the cross members myself and the steel plates was done by his machine shop. He had followed cardboard templates that I had made.

Some close ups.

I also got some polishing done the rear rim and it now needs painting in the center.

Lastly some plastic welding. Done with ABS plastic and a soldering iron. Almost every piece needed.
    Last edited by ukilme; 12-23-2009, 04:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Hopefully the upper tubes on the backbones of the frame are placed correctly. Too far out and they foul the tank, too far in and the foul the carbs. Pretty big plates for the footrest...what are the plans there? Glad to see the project is moving forward!

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari View Post
        Hopefully the upper tubes on the backbones of the frame are placed correctly. Too far out and they foul the tank, too far in and the foul the carbs. Pretty big plates for the footrest...what are the plans there? Glad to see the project is moving forward!
        Ya, they are placed right. He did not have the tank for it but I had cardboard mock ups taped in place. There less then 3mm on both sides between the tank and upper brace. And that is without the rubber mounts.

The plates are big because I am thinking of mounting the pegs and such to it and then drill holes (Swiss cheese design) in the upper area. If I go with rearsets, I can always cut them down.

Comment

Originally posted by ukilme View Post
          Ya, they are placed right. He did not have the tank for it but I had cardboard mock ups taped in place. There less then 3mm on both sides between the tank and upper brace. And that is without the rubber mounts.

The plates are big because I am thinking of mounting the pegs and such to it and then drill holes (Swiss cheese design) in the upper area. If I go with rearsets, I can always cut them down.
          I totally understand on the mounts. I welded very small tabs on mine which basically means that for the busa rearsets I'm currently using, I had to machine a secondary alloy mounting plate with the correct bolt hole spacing. I'm in the process of drawing up some new custom rearsets in CAD to eliminate the current redundancy and have something a little more unique.

Comment

Well, I have not posted here in a long time. I am still working on the Kat and I am making progress. It is slow but going a long.

I have finished the body work as I took a break from the frame and swing arm. It was cold in the garage.

Here is what the tank looked like before.

With the dent removed using a stud welder

And then filler.

And what it looks like now using Auto Air color paints and Nason 496 clear.

The rest of the body is done as well and I will post some of it up when it is dry.

Comment

Here's the nose:

Comment

is the bike's paint scheme behind the bike general lee?!

Comment

Originally posted by rockonayz View Post
                  is the bike's paint scheme behind the bike general lee?!
                  Yap, it is a Triumph TT600. It is my road bike. I got it paint 6 years ago.

Comment

im in love!! i was thinking about doing that with my first bike but couldnt think of where i would put the flag. that is beautiful man!

Comment

My usual feelings are that a vintage kat should be painted silver or black but I've gotta admit, your paint looks pretty darn good. Looking forward to seeing it all together.

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari View Post
                        My usual feelings are that a vintage kat should be painted silver or black but I've gotta admit, your paint looks pretty darn good. Looking forward to seeing it all together.
                        I have to agree with you but I figured I would try something a little different by getting a shifting color paint that goes from blue to black depending on the angle and light. And I put the sliver graphics to keep the some of the original 'silver'.

Actually, I even though about painting it the same silver as your bike, Waltari.

Now that it is getting warm again, I can head to the garage and work on the chassis.

Comment

I'm not usually impressed with custom paint on classic kats, but that looks real good. Nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by ukilme View Post
                            I have to agree with you but I figured I would try something a little different by getting a shifting color paint that goes from blue to black depending on the angle and light. And I put the sliver graphics to keep the some of the original 'silver'.

Actually, I even though about painting it the same silver as your bike, Waltari.

Now that it is getting warm again, I can head to the garage and work on the chassis.
                            Yeah, the customer's bike I'm doing is getting painted that silver and he want's to bring me his other 750 to respray at the same time. Guess that's a positive vote for the Alpine Silver Metallic

Comment

Anyways, I got some ZRX1200 shocks for the project off of Ebay. The problem with them it the top mount for the shock is 14mm while the mount on the Kat is 12mm. After trying to make some spacers, I found that the bottom bushing has the same size rubber with the center being 10mm but with enough material to drill out. So, I popped out the larger diameter bushing and got some new bottom bushing to drill out. It worked great.

I got a C-channel made from a local guy and made my own shock mounts. I do not think I have measure and measure again and then again-so many times in my life.

I used a hand mitre saw to make the angled and 90 degree cuts. It worked great but was slow and my hand was dead afterward.

To get the rounded look. I used a circle template to draw a circle. Then used a belt hand to shape it.

Here is a quick look with it on the swing arm and shock.

Comment

Hey...looks like the client bike I have in my shop right now. I'm putting a B12 arm and KYB shocks on his as well. Keep up the good work, looks like it's coming along nicely!

Comment

Working...
                                X