No announcement yet.
X

My build - Uglier Betty

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man I love the way that you did the bike. I followed you build on here and CF. Gave me so many ideas for my build and so much inspiration. Keep up the great work!
    2005 Gsx600f- My baby
    1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
    Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

• Holy Crap I need to work on my bike! Too many projects. Currently building 3 bikes (not including this one) and 2 cars... I need more time! lol

Comment

• Dusted off the old girl today, gotta get some work done for laconia.

Comment

• nice bike!

Comment

• freakin heck man... i definitely just stayed up all night reading that now im gonna be late for school lol still gotta shower. Just started my own build cant im not stuck but im at the headlight/gauges issues right now. i like all your ideas what would you recommend for headlights i like how yours looks but does it bother you not having hi/low beam options... or does it have that cause if it does i want it... gotta go lol

Comment

• Originally posted by daner12 View Post
              freakin heck man... i definitely just stayed up all night reading that now im gonna be late for school lol still gotta shower. Just started my own build cant im not stuck but im at the headlight/gauges issues right now. i like all your ideas what would you recommend for headlights i like how yours looks but does it bother you not having hi/low beam options... or does it have that cause if it does i want it... gotta go lol
              Thanks!

It does have a high and low beam. The bulb is the one that comes with it and it very dim, I have needed to replace it with a brighter one, but never got around to it.I got it off ebay for right around $55 shipped I believe. It was Chrome, but I painted it. Scuffed the chrome good and the spray bomb paint hasn't flaked or shipped yet. The "fogs", which are driving lights mounted in the wrong position, are more to help others see me, that for me to see stuff.

As for gauges, I have the Trailtech Vapor Stealth. The stealth just means it comes in black. I bought the one for "universal use with Traditional forks".

It comes with a temperature sensor loop, which you are supposed to put under a spark plug, but since the Suzuki motors have water wells for the spark plug, I wasn't going to risk them getting broken or stuck down there. Instead I put it under a bolt on an oil line, so really it just tells me what the average temperature between the block and ambient air is, but I don't really care about that feature.

The tach, I just wrapped the wire around the coil for plug number one, I had to try a few different number of wraps to get a good reading. I will eventually wire it directly to a coil feed, but like everything, I just don't get around to it.

The speed I got right first try. I zip tied the sensor to the fork leg, kinda tucked by the caliper, and used super glue to put the pick up magnet in one of the holes in the rotor. It fits damn near perfect, and actually reads perfect with no calibration (at least mine did). It's been glued in there for over a year, and no problems yet. If it does ever fall out, I'll just glue another one in there. it's just too cheap and easy of a solution that it's not worth over engineering something else. It's cheap, easy, and works, what more can you ask for?

I also wired mine to a power source so I'm not running off batteries.

I also am using the stock clamp that comes with it. I was going to make a metal one, since that one is plastic. I only intended to use it for geting everything adjusted, but I have to qualms with it. It doesn't jiggle and it holds just fine, so I never bothered to make one. If I recall correctly, there are provisions(x2) that could be used on the back to make your own mount.

Hope that helps.

Brian
              Last edited by venturesomerite; 05-21-2012, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• don't usually like fighters bbut its not bad at all i like the orange accents ties the bike together, im hoping to have mine ready for bike week as well
                never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
                Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
                confused katana build

Comment

• long over due update for anyone who might care:

I started out intending to build an air box and ended up just swapping the motor for shoe horn into it. So I'm just gonna call this my "ADD update" aka I'm just gonna do whatever is shinny and draws my attention at the moment.

I think it's been a little over a year, so it's about time to cut the sub frame and make another one. New seat, new subby, new brake light, blinkers and plate set up too.

First I cut up my old exhuast hoping to reuse the 4-2-2 style, but ultimately it proved impossible because the GSXR motor has the drain plug right above a pipe, and an oil line was right there too...

So scratch that, so I built a 4-1 with no mid pipe out of a shorty I picked up a while back, and some parts of a V+H header, and a whole lot of a 1980 CB 900 header I had been saving from a bike I parted out. Had to get pretty creative to be able to have the oil cooler mount, and be able to get the oil filter off without taking the header off (hence the odd spread of the down tubes)

Once that was done, I cut up the old belly pan to mount it on (new header is WAY bigger) because I really like it and wanted to keep it. So now it had NO middle part to it

and after all that, I swapped in an r6 shock

and mounted up some dirty bars.

I'm going to fuck with the can mount a little to raise it as much as possible. Over all I'm pretty happy, and glad to actually get something done for once.

Ok so the engine kinda runs, so time to start another major project lol

I have to say, although it's ugly, the random ass hole through the frame does come in handy when you don't have a center stand.

Initial slide in seems that the bearing are the same or close on the stem. Gotta look into it.

Still need to source the following for the fork swap: stem hardware, lower fork bolts, fork rebuild kit, taller bar risers 7/8", better looking rotors (if I can find something I can afford, if not just a paint job for these guys for right now)

Need to make the following: Mount for headlight and blinkers, make A/F gauge mount and pod.

Ok so color wise, the rotors and wheel I will paint just like the old ones, but when it comes to the forks, I'm not sure if I want to polish them, or paint them black. Leaning towards black since there's not one shiny thing on my bike.

Traded a frame I had for some parts for the bike today.

Got front calipers (and one back up), rear caliper, bar risers, speedo take off and spacer for front axel, and a wheel with drive, sprocket and rotor.

It was a perfect coincidence that we both had exactly what the other needed.

Also not pictured, I lost the ignition with the other front end, so I picked up a universal small ignition, and drilled out a large flat washer, which I tacked to the side of the frame in the V under the petcock.
                  Last edited by venturesomerite; 01-29-2014, 07:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• That a big update. Just keeps getting better.

Comment

• Congrat's for the work I like the way you have done the exhaust

Comment

• Ok, so I did some shit for a change.

This is how long it's been since I've molested the poor girl.

Since my bike fell over last year cause I had to put it back wards on the bike stand(for front end swappies) I wasn't about to have a repeat. All that happened was a broken belly pan and a cracked oil pan, but That's enough for me. I spent some time in Cad and drew this up.

And then out came the lathe and milling machine I don't own to make this piece of engineering pron. Ugly but it works, and when Strapped you'll actually knock the whole bike lift over before it falls off.

And this is how you lift the front end with no help for trial fitting of the bracket.

The big problem was that I needed stability long term, but I had to be able to both fuck with the front wheel and forks, and be able to drop the exhuast and oil pan for repair, WHILE being able to leave it as is long term. This ugly little bastard does the job just fine.

So I started fucking around with getting the bars mounted, just using what I have around. Turns out I'm going to have to buy a set of taller risers. I tried the dirty bars I had laying around, but I don't really like 'em on this bike.

Old kat top tripple vs gsxr top tripple

First go around

Drag bars with some spacers under risers

Bit of a tight fit

So I tried some dirt bars

They fit better, but I'm not feeling them. Gonna get some taller risers and run the drags.

Projects for my immediate focus include:
                        - New taller risers
                        - Rebuild brake calipers
                        - Urine sample master set up
                        - Get/make some SS lines to fit (after I get the final bar set up down)
                        - Rebuild leaky forks
                        - Add steering stabilizer (somewhere, some how)
                        - Make a new headlight and blinker mount bracket for new front end

Tons more than that, but those are the ones I need to focus on right now.
                        Last edited by venturesomerite; 12-06-2014, 08:03 PM. Reason: Dropped bologna in my pants, it's all good, I found it.

Comment

• Ok, so in keeping with my personal tradition, I didn't do anything on my list, and instead started another major project on the bike.

Time for a new ass end!

I am making this one bolt on, since ya know, I'll more than likely take it off in a year or two and do another one when I'm bored of it. This will make that alot easier.

All I got done was to cut off the old shit, which honestly I kinda (did) cobble together so I could ride it and just never re did it. I also made some tabs for the new sub. Plan is to heim the bottom, and have the top pivot. This way I can dick around with the seating position as I please.

All rough cuts before finish work.

just for fun, here's the pic of when I bought her again. Lol

Comment

Working...
                          X