Which color to use

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which color to use

Hey everyone,

I have a bike that I am restoring and all of the plastics are the same color as the bike in this video
    [youtube]1O_sbfwklcU[/youtube]

I have a tank and the front wheel fender that are from other bikes and will need to be re-painted. Which color should I use? I don't care if it doesnt match exactly. Also, it needs to be a rattlecan...preferably duplicolor

Any advice on where I can get something like this?

Thanks in advance
    '96 600GSXF

You can get the color from color-rite.com they may have the base color. Why not just take and repaint the whole thing a different color for it all to match up.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
      You can get the color from color-rite.com they may have the base color. Why not just take and repaint the whole thing a different color for it all to match up.
      Thanks man! looks like they've got the color available in Aerosol. It's a bit pricey though ~$35 for just one can!

I was really hoping to just get 2 $6 duplicolor cans

I am fixing this bike up to sell and since the stock paintjob is still fairly decent was hoping to avoid messing with it. Also, was really hoping to avoid ALL that sanding

I've just about finished my own bike's new color:

I used duplicolor: MetalCast Blue. and the Duplicolor ClearCoat...came out Ok i think. It was my first time using a spraycan, it was also my first time painting anything in general
      '96 600GSXF

Comment

I like the color and the idea of a paint can as I dont have the knowledge, or better yet the patience to do otherwise. How is it for orange peel. OK, a lot of sanding, or major PIA. Just want to know as I am either going with the 'busa orange or some sort of pearl white.
        '04 600 GSXF

"Hope for the best, but expect the worst. You will always be prepared, and never disappointed."
        ME.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
          I like the color and the idea of a paint can as I dont have the knowledge, or better yet the patience to do otherwise. How is it for orange peel. OK, a lot of sanding, or major PIA. Just want to know as I am either going with the 'busa orange or some sort of pearl white.
          I cant say anything negative about the Duplicolor stuff. I decided to use everything by Duplicolor because: it would all play nicely together, and it was cheap.

I used their gray filler/primer (sandable), then the MetalCast Blue color spray, then topped it off with the "Truck/SUV Clear coat". I asked why it was "Truck/SUV" clear coat and was told that it was simply called that because the can was the larger can.

Orange peel wasn't too bad. The tank came out the best, mirror reflection...very smooth. The rest of the pieces were also OK. I (dry)sanded the base coat with 400, then 600 to smooth it out before painting it. Oh, i also used the Duplicolor Adhesion promoter before spraying the primer and then again before spraying the color.

I did not get any runs in color or clear on any of the pieces. I had the toughest time getting the same amount of paint on each of the pieces. In other words, getting each piece to look the same was tough. If you look really reall closely at my pieces you can see that some have a few darker spots around some of the more "complicated" features and protrusions in the plastic. Actually it looks like it is part of the paint scheme, but i technically didn't plan it

Now that the weather is getting better (at least here in the northeast) it will definitely be a better time for painting.

This paintjob took me about 80 hours total. This is including everything, prep work, also going to the store to get paint, also spraying a practice piece...messing up once or twice...and also sanding and spraying my header pipes with the 1200F ceramic black paint.

let me know if you want to see more pictures..i've got a few more.
          '96 600GSXF

Comment

Working...
          X