No announcement yet.
X

Hard start issue when hot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I took the bike out on a extensive run 2 up tonight. Probably 30-40 min ride with some high speed riding. Power was great no bogging etc. Had seafoam in this tank. Issue regarding fuel dripping from the rear seems to be getting worst. After shut down can hear bubbling coming from the vent hose hooked to carbs that runs back behind to above the rear caliper. Fuel was dripping out as well. Bike did restart. The idle is very low as well 800 rpm again and have to apply a small amount of throttle to keep it from dying. Used a infared temp gun and temp showed 145* F was the temp of the carb body. Maybe the carbs are boiling out due to lean condition? Any thoughts?
    1990 1100

Comment

I'm thinking you need to R&R those carbs and change the plugs.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Are both over flow tubes leaking or just one ?
        Did you take temp of each cylinder/header pipe leaving the head ?
        That should tell you which cylinder is causing the problem.
        If all cylinders/headers read the same temp, it may be a fuel delivery problem like I was saying.
        My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Yep that's what it looks like, just saw some posts that those are overflow hoses and will leak if your floats are sticking. Will post back results once I am done.

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
          Are both over flow tubes leaking or just one ?
          Did you take temp of each cylinder/header pipe leaving the head ?
          That should tell you which cylinder is causing the problem.
          If all cylinders/headers read the same temp, it may be a fuel delivery problem like I was saying.
          I did take a temp of the headers and they were all about the same. Fuel is only leaking from the right overflow tube ( bank 3-4 if sitting on bike )

Just tried to start the bike again and fuel literally squirted out lol all over the tire and ground and bike didnt start.
          Last edited by ranger2003dog; 04-18-2017, 12:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          1990 1100

Comment

If it squirted out while trying to start it, then the vacuum assist petcock caused fuel to rush in, then squirt out. If thats the case, then turning the petcock on to "Prime" will cause the same result/ without starting.
            When I was rebuilding my kat-11 carbs, I noticed the floats are glued together, there is a top cap glued on. I used spray carb cleaner to clean them off and noticed some of the glue melted away. That being said, I've become more familiar with the proper use of chemicals. I'm much more cautious these days. I've even saved a old pickle jar from the refridgerator that I soak materials in carb cleaner. Let me tell you, Kreem gas tank liner melts easily too.

Comment

Ok, I assume that isnt normal for fuel to squirt out of there when starting? It only has this problem when the engine is hot. Cold no fuel drips anything and it starts fine. I had an old set of floats laying around from another carb set for this bike. Saw what you were talking about in regards to it glued together that is good to know! I had a float on a cx500 that kept filling with fuel because it was deteriorated and spewed fuel. Have you used a ultrasonic cleaner? Just picked one up and ill try it out on these carbs once I remove them
              1990 1100

Comment

Fuel is squirting out because the float is either stuck/or sunk or the needle is stuck/worn/ or rusted. But yeah, I bought a sonic cleaner when I rebuilt my carbs, but I didn't use it on all 4 bodies. I found that plain old Pine Sol (floor cleaner) worked the best for me. Some guys will hound you if you tell them it works just as good as everything else. Just be prepared to get flamed if you tell people that it works. I used the name brand stuff, not the crap from the dollar store...Soak a few hours then brush off under the sink with a tooth brush or something. To clean the circuits, including the Pilot circuits, I went straight to the spray carb cleaner while the carb body was fresh out of the solution. The soften clogged will dislodge easier that way. I even placed the pilot screw back in place to help build extra pressure inside the circuit to help clean out the holes.
                Last edited by katanarider; 04-18-2017, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Thanks will try that one out! I think they are just all around dirty. I tried searching around on the site in regards to filters for the 1100. Stock they didnt have fuel filters but am considering after the clean to run fuel filters. Not sure if that will cause a flow issue or not
                  1990 1100

Comment

Yes they will. It wasn't designed for them. The post bikes are, hence the single fuel line.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

I tried fuel filters, its stalled the bike due to lack of fuel. I had to turn prime on to get back home. Use Apple Cider Vinegar to de-rust your tank. It may rust again shortly after because its not sealed. I don't know, I've never done it. I've only seen videos on youtube.
                      As for the Pine Sol, buy a 1 gallon bottle from Walmart $11)..Use a plastic container to soak the bodies to clean the surface dirt then rinse. Step two, you can re-soak in your sonic cleaner to get the small circuits. I didn't do that, but it wouldn't hurt.

Comment

F**k pine sol......use the right cleaner. Vinegar is good for derusting a tank. Then mix oil with some fuel and slosh it around the tank to keep oxygen from restarting the rust process or of course you could do it right and seal the tank with POR 15 and call it done for decades.

F**k pine sol......use the right cleaner. Like Gunk carb dip or Berrymans carb dip. Vinegar is good for derusting a tank. Then mix oil with some fuel and slosh it around the tank to keep oxygen from restarting the rust process or of course you could do it right and seal the tank with POR 15 and call it done for decades.
                        Last edited by 92xjunker; 04-18-2017, 02:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

told you !

Pine Sol cleaning Petcock video
                          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                          Last edited by katanarider; 04-18-2017, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Im not sure how to upload pictures yet to the site but I started repairs to the bike today. I replaced the coils and once I had everything hooked up again I started the bike to make sure there werent any connectivity issues. With the tank off I noticed fuel was spraying also out of the number 4 carb cast portion? I am not sure exactly why or what this is, it appears to be a grease fitting type ball but permanent and its a brass tube that runs down to the bottom of the carb. Thats the best way to describe unless someone can point out how to upload pictures to the site. Any ideas? I am now thinking the casting is somehow damaged not sure.
                            Last edited by ranger2003dog; 04-19-2017, 04:17 PM.
                            1990 1100

Comment

Imgur.com, load the pic.

Verify the direct link to the pic, copy it...

Click the image above the posting text box, paste in the direct link to the pic. Repeat as necessary for as many pics as you like.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

What Krey said, but in other words.
                                I use Photo Bucket. You have to upload your pictures there now because Katriders.com got a virus from people uploading bogus photos with malicous code in them.
                                Once you do that, right click to copy the "Direct Image" link from Photo Bucket. Then here in Katriders, click the little plantet earth symbol tab. Once you do that a window will appear that says "Please enter the URL link". In that window, delete the "http://". Finally, right click to paste your link. Its a bunch of bull shit that I've complained about for a couple of years now, but it is what it is. Ass holes want to hack everybodies computers these days, so what can you do?
                                Anyway, sounds like your talking about your choke circuit is spraying fuel. Make sure its not engaged/pins pushed in.

Comment

Working...
                                X