X

Morgion's 1995 GSX600F rebuild thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morgion's 1995 GSX600F rebuild thread

I'm starting a rebuild of my Kat with the goal of repainting her, readying her for my 5000+ km (3k+ mile) Euro trip next summer (maintenance, touring mods etc.) and adding some functional and cosmetic mods to make her to my liking. This thread will be my pictorial diary documenting my progress and showcasing said mods.

Info:
    • 1995 Suzuki GSX600FS "Katana"
    • 90,000km (56k miles) as of December 2014
    • Bought in July 2014 with 85,000km (53k miles) for a whopping 1500€
    • Original color ocean blue

Mods by some previous owner:
    • Goodridge brake lines in front, braided steel
    • Post-98 front turn signals semi-proficiently modded into pre-98 fairings (it's like he gave up when he was 95% done, gonna finish what he started)
    • Shovel chop
    • Some vinyl work of questionable taste (guess somebody liked blue...)
    • 12V cigarette lighter outlet
    • LED rear turn signals

First picture I ever took of her after riding her 400km (250 miles) home from Vaasa to Helsinki:

This is what she looked like after a summer and autumn of riding, safely tucked underneath my kitchen window for the winter. (12V outlet barely visible above turn signal.)

As you can see, that dark blue vinyl is asymmetrical for some reason. Minor fiberglass patchwork suggests it's to cover some cosmetic damage from a drop or crash.

First step in repainting the bike is to take off the fairings and scrub them clean. After two hours they were sufficiently shiny and were left to dry in the bathroom:

Smaller and less dirty pieces (mirrors etc.) were put into the dishwasher. With both my bathroom and my dishwasher full of bike parts, I came into the sudden realization that were I married, my wife would be hating my guts off right about now. God bless the bachelor life.

Stay tuned for more later. It'll only get better from now on.
    Last edited by Morgion; 08-21-2015, 08:58 AM.
    1995 GSX600F ///// Build diary

I call bullshit.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

????, ditch those horrible signals. Definitely need something done with fairings, that scheme isn't right. I like the euro graphics on the pre Kats.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
        I call bullshit.
        In a specific department or in general?

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        ????, ditch those horrible signals. Definitely need something done with fairings, that scheme isn't right. I like the euro graphics on the pre Kats.
        Front turn signals? Can't do, sir, there's two fuckhuge holes (visible in the bathroom pic) for the post-98 indicators where the original indicators were and I'm not a fan of fiberglass. I'm going to tint them darker so they don't stand out so much and install bright orange LEDs in there to compensate for the tint.

I'm gonna do a completely custom paintjob with stenciled and hand-painted graphics. Goodbye resale value but I'm going to ride this until I wreck it, so it doesn't matter.

Also this is her now. Next step is taking the exhaust and wheels off and repainting them along with wrapping the exhaust.

Comment

, fiberglass isn't going to work as good a a piece of ABS and ABS solvent. The fairing are ABS. Search fairing repair or plastics repair for multiple ways of patching ABS fairings. Like using acetone and Legos for instance.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

yah fuze, what are you calling bullshit? Nothing stuck out at me as bullshit. Just curious, maybe i missed something..
            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

, fiberglass isn't going to work as good a a piece of ABS and ABS solvent. The fairing are ABS. Search fairing repair or plastics repair for multiple ways of patching ABS fairings. Like using acetone and Legos for instance.
              You can also use ABS filament and a soldering iron. We have an ABS 3d printer at work so I cut off a short length of black plastic filament and used that to weld a crack shut in a fairing for my bandit.

do a search for abs filament on amazon or ebay. I think the 1.75mm filament will be easier to use then the 3mm. One spool will be a lifetime supply if you are using it to repair ABS parts.
              Back on 2 wheels
              2001 GSF600S Bandit

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
                yah fuze, what are you calling bullshit? Nothing stuck out at me as bullshit. Just curious, maybe i missed something..
                ??? Me too
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Sorry if I offended anyone.....it just looked photoshopped to me....but hey....what do I know.
                  89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                  96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I did have to double take on the two tone paint and the strange signal setup.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

I did have to double take on the two tone paint and the strange signal setup.
                      Me too
                      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Photoshopped...
                        So ugly you can't believe it?

The indicators may look a little weird but they are really good (wide angle, good visibility). After tinting they won't stick out like that, so I'm keeping them for now. I can always come back with some ABS repair stuff or fiberglass or even frickin' Legos and acetone later if I get bored of them or if they don't look good.

I definitely like them more than the stock stalk indicators, looks a little more 'modern' and aerodynamic and should go well with the integrated rear turn signals I'm planning.

Buried neck-deep in work right now so the exhaust and wheels will have to wait for Monday.

Comment

They do have small side mounted signals to replace the stalks. To each his own.....
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

[QUOTE=Morgion;2340509]Photoshopped...
                            So ugly you can't believe it? QUOTE]
                            Yeah....kinda...... not dissin' your bike, I love pre's......but the previous owner must have had ADD........its like getting halfof my hair shaved.
                            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

They do have small side mounted signals to replace the stalks. To each his own.....
                              I'm interested. Pic? Link?

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                              Yeah....kinda...... not dissin' your bike, I love pre's......but the previous owner must have had ADD........its like getting halfof my hair shaved.
                              I do agree, I got her because she was mechanically fine, had 25kw in the papers (tax exempt and cheaper insurance even though she's actually not restricted) and because she was dirt cheap. Repainting and making her look the way I want it was my plan from the start.
                              Last edited by Morgion; 12-15-2014, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X