X

How do u like gearing change?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do u like gearing change?

I've experimented with sprocket changes on most of my previous bikes. Some I liked, some I didn't. I loved it on my sv1000, but hated it on my hayabusa.

I'm thinking of going +2 on the rear for a mild change, not too dramatic. But I always insist on getti g the speedo healer, so before I invest I wanted to know what your experiences have been with different combinations.

Specifically, I'd be deciding between +2 or +3 rear.

Thanks
    previous rides
    06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
    next ride - another kat

I didn't care for gearing changes on the Kat. I never felt that the higher RPMs were worth the slight increase in bottom end grunt. I did a lot of freeway driving so mpg suffered as well.

On the Busa, on the other hand, +3 in the rear is like night and day and worth the slight increase in RPM. The busa pulls like a freight train to start with. adding + 3 on the rear is a lot of fun!
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

There is really no reason to go up on the rear in FL... you would be better off going down.

That said... I run 15/50 here in the mountains because the majority of ride time is spent on very curvy and wildly variant grade roads. There are rarely any straights for you to get higher speeds for any length of time. You do spend most of your time throttling up after a curve or up a hill or both at the same time. Having more low end grunt is a huge help here.

If the roads where flat and straight all the time... It would drive me nuts due to the higher rpms required for the same speeds.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

On my pre Kat. I'm running one down in front, one up in the rear.

*LOVE* the extra grunt and don't mind the slight MPG decrease since I don't commute.

Comment

14/50 was decent until I got on the highway.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

All depends on how you use the bike, riding style, goals etc. Changing by 2 or 3 teeth will make little change overall, so there would be no real point to it unless you are due for chain and sprockets anyway. 2 extra teeth at the rear is 2/45 X 100 = 4.4% difference. ie 4.4% higher RPM for the same speed (about 5220 @ 60mph as opposed to about 5000 stock) which will very roughly equate to 4.4% more poke and 4.4% higher consumption (but it's not a linear equation.)

Comment

15/43. I do a lot freeway. But works well. Not much difference. But helps the gas milage a little.
              Tyberious Rasputen Von-rotten Shagnasty
              True story

Comment

Working...
              X