No announcement yet.
X

First bike for a tall guy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geesh I feel like the point guard on the basketball team there are some tall dudes in here! I am 6'3" and 230 (rock hard flab-lol) and while the 600 is great, the 750 cannot hurt.

As I read your post about this being your first bike I was getting ready to make my standard post about throttle control etc. then I saw what you wrote that you are not retarded and understand the throttle- which is basically my only real caveate about a bigger displacement 1st bike.

have fun!

Comment

05,750 ,190 6ft. You will want the power of the 750 and the comfort of its size .Sits comfortably on the highways Its like the suv of sport bikes .The 750 is a great commuter and comfortable to a do a longer ride with a passenger .The Windsheild thing I'm still struggeling with ,supprisingly my new helmet made a difference on the buffeting so im still unsure about where I want the wind to be sent and how much I want to mess with the look.My 2 cents go for the 750 and you wont regret it .

good luck
      I have got to work on my sensitivity ........ok thats over lets get to the next caring moment

Comment

Thanks for you input, basketball team. I realise 750 would be the better choice but they are much rarer here than 600s and so in case I struggle to find the bigger one, here's three things I mainly wonder about:

1. What exactly is the fuel consumption difference between 600 and 750? Reading fuelly.com leaves an impression 750 is actually more economical.

2. Dimension-wise, they are the same bike, right? The only difference being the slightly higher steering bars on 750?

3. Real world difference in highway performance.
        Last edited by lockheed; 06-19-2011, 05:15 PM.
        GSX750F, 1998 (German market version), black.

Comment

Originally posted by lockheed View Post
          Thanks for you input, basketball team. I realise 750 would be the better choice but they are much rarer here than 600s and so in case I struggle to find the bigger one, here's two things I mainly wonder about:

1. What exactly is the fuel consumption difference between 600 and 750? Reading fuelly.com leaves an impression 750 is actually more economical.

2. Dimension-wise, they are the same bike, right? The only difference being the slightly higher steering bars on 750?
          1.) The difference is, on average, completely negligible. Riding WOT around town the 750 will do a tiny bit worse than the 600. Really, barely any difference. The 750 only have ~20hp more than the 600, but the torque advantage is very noticeable. Unless the 750 costs 3x as much, there is absolutely no reason to buy the 600.

2.) Higher bars on the 750, 1.5" longer swinger.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Don't you guys have tiered licensing in the UK? I thought you HAD to put in a fair amount of saddle time on a little bike.
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam, and the 750 fits me perfect.

I like being able to flatfoot it

as other said, if you want to commute all the time, get a touring windscreen, or just suck it up and tuck over the tank

See My Garage for mods...
              T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
              Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                Don't you guys have tiered licensing in the UK? I thought you HAD to put in a fair amount of saddle time on a little bike.
                No. I did my full license in another EU country. Besides, I am over 22 (or 24) so even if I did it in the UK, I could go for whatever.

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
                I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam, and the 750 fits me perfect.

I like being able to flatfoot it
                I must say I saw and sat on 750 this Saturday for the first time, and when I was on it my first though was "damn, that's one light, good-looking bike'. Then I heard the show room owner saying '"They go cheap cause they are ugly and heavy" and I was like 'WTF are you saying' on both accounts.

Less than a month ago I was sitting on school's YBR250 thinking 'damn, this thing's gonna kill me'
                Last edited by lockheed; 06-20-2011, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Just a thought: I'm 'only' 6'2 and the issue that I've always had was the uncomfortable position my right foot had to be in in order to reach the rear brake pedal (on both my 750 Kat and my '14). For years I just gave up and rode with my right foot not covering the rear brake, but I figured it was only a matter of time before that split second of being able to get my foot into positon may mean the difference between a hard stop and a get-off, so I bought lowering pegs and adjusted everything down. It made a real difference in comfort for me and I'm quite sure it will do the same for anyone over 6'0.
                  =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

The 750f will probably be the most comfortable for you since it has the bars a little higher, and the rear shock is much nicer. Weight, yeah, it is HEAVY, not Connie heavy, but still heavy in comparison to all of it's competition.
                    Pics
                    Pics
                    No pics yet
                    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I just picked up a 89 600 GSX, and im waiting for it to be certified. I'm 6'3 and it fits great.
                      Glasses Up, bitches down

Comment

we do have a b-ball team building. Lockheed- I'm 6'4" 200lbs w/ 34" inseam. I have a 600. I've had the double bubble and touring versions of the Zero Gravity windscreen. It goes back and forth, the touring was enough wind protection that the stream hit me in the throat. The dub-bub hits the chest. It's just preference, but either is better than stock. FYI- I only tuck in truly windy occasions, even on the freeway. In Seinfeld-esque words, I'm a raaaaaaging anti-tucker. I wish I had a 750, but am very happy with my 600. Would consider lowering pegs because these knees just aren't young anymore, but have scraped pegs before without them.
                        sigpic
                        "Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike." Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Where did you find the lowering pegs? I have been looking for some for a 02 750 Kat for a while.

Originally posted by Nero View Post
                          Just a thought: I'm 'only' 6'2 and the issue that I've always had was the uncomfortable position my right foot had to be in in order to reach the rear brake pedal (on both my 750 Kat and my '14). For years I just gave up and rode with my right foot not covering the rear brake, but I figured it was only a matter of time before that split second of being able to get my foot into positon may mean the difference between a hard stop and a get-off, so I bought lowering pegs and adjusted everything down. It made a real difference in comfort for me and I'm quite sure it will do the same for anyone over 6'0.

Comment

Wish I could help you there. The Kat had them on them when I bought it, which was strange considering it only had 600 miles on it when I got in '06. Obviously, the pegs are still easy to find for the '14. You may have to find someone to machine some for you.
                            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Is there any benefit of buying post-1998 models over the earlier ones, except the likely mileage?

Comment

Working...
                              X