X

Oil Overfill Now won't start!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weird; vid stopped working - here's direct link

[ame="http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/t447/usdm_b18/?action=view&current=e25d8db6.mp4"]e25d8db6.mp4 video by usdm_b18 - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1060.p hotobucket.com%2Falbums%2Ft447%2Fusdm_b18%2Fe25d8d b6.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1060.photob ucket.com%2Falbums%2Ft447%2Fusdm_b18%2Fe25d8db6.mp 4[/ame]

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
    hope you left all the spark plugs out to let the motor dry out it is for sure flooded

how old is the fuel in the tank ??

when did the bike last run well ??

did you add sea foam to the fuel ??

did you installed the air filter when you tried to start? , you must have it in

hope you left all the spark plugs out to let the motor dry out it is for sure flooded

I didn't... I'm adding that to the list for this evening. Will the engine naturally dry out via the vents if it waits for several hours?

how old is the fuel in the tank ??

3 weeks old maybe 4.

when did the bike last run well ??

Reasonably well (2 weeks ago prior to oil change)

did you add sea foam to the fuel ??

Going to pick up a can this afternoon at crappy tire

did you installed the air filter when you tried to start? , you must have it in

Tried it both ways, with it in and with it out same gig.
    Last edited by usdm_b18; 04-14-2012, 07:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

the problem with a flooded engine is the cylinders are soaking wet with fuel and its not atomized , flooded is to much fuel to air ratio

with out the air filter it probably just dumped in a pile more fuel

I know you dont want to buy another set of plugs but that is your best bet

it would also be a good idea to drain the fuel bowls after you add the sea foam
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Update:

Ordered some new spark plugs; went in and cleaned up again; this time no oil, however a bit of gas.

I did get at least one of the cylinders to fire and got a few backfires, however have not been able to get it to turnover.

I went back in and blew back out the vent tubes connected to the airbox both were clear

I tried rolling the bike around in 1st and it did role (I assume this means no hydrolock?)

With the bike on the center stand; I did notice that the oil level is a bit low; could this be a problem when getting the bike to turn over?

I'm going to take a propane torch to the existing sparks to really clean them out this week.

What are the chances that I've really fubar'd the bike? Worst case scenario anyone?

Thanks Kat Riders!

Comment

that oil looks pretty dark..and low for a fresh oil change :P

anyway since it was recently running i assume the safety circuit has all been check(clutch lever pulled in, kill switch on, kickstand up)

do you smell gas when you start it?
          are you putting it on prime?
          is your petcock getting gas into carbs?

it seems most of the stuff to check after the gas/carbs has already been checked and mentioned.

these tanks aren't too huge, you can prob put some fresh gas in and use that old stuff for a lawnmower

i accidentally hydrolocked my bike last week and i didnt even have to pull my plugs to get it started...just had to do yet another oil change >.<

Comment

Originally posted by Scott L View Post
            that oil looks pretty dark..and low for a fresh oil change :P

anyway since it was recently running i assume the safety circuit has all been check(clutch lever pulled in, kill switch on, kickstand up)

do you smell gas when you start it?
            are you putting it on prime?
            is your petcock getting gas into carbs?

it seems most of the stuff to check after the gas/carbs has already been checked and mentioned.

these tanks aren't too huge, you can prob put some fresh gas in and use that old stuff for a lawnmower

i accidentally hydrolocked my bike last week and i didnt even have to pull my plugs to get it started...just had to do yet another oil change >.<

Thanks Scott for the reply;

The bike cranks and the safety electronics are working as they should.

Carbs are getting gas to the cylinders, I can smell gas, and when I've pulled the sparks, there was some accumulated gas on them. That being said, that would suggest that there may be some ignition issues; new sparks have been ordered.

The bike had been sitting for quite a while an oil change is probably a good idea. I'll add that to my list of things to do for this week; can a bike not start b/c of bad oil?

Comment

i think under certain situations oil could cause a starting problem, but i doubt thats what it is...i just changed my oil twice last week so i noticed the color in the window.

have you put the bike on prime and pulled the hose off and see it ****ing?
              its probably fine but just to rule it out

and have you checked if each plug is getting spark, i noticed you said 1 cylinder fired

ive been lazy and still have not got a new choke cable...mine is a little hard to start in the mornings but i never even use a choke..just put on prime for a few seconds

Comment

if you torch the plugs do it gradual so not to crack/break the porcilen

I had pretty much what you are describing happen 2 seasons ago

I rode home 20 minutes on the highway come off the highway and the bike started stumbling and back firing
                Didnt think it was going to make it up the hill to my house
                I put in new plugs and a can of sea foam and once the treated fuel mad it threw the carbs it ran fine again
                Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Check the voltage at the coils when cranking. Mine sounded exactly like yours and it was from a weak battery. I tried charging and jump starting and nothing worked. It would crank like yours but I was only getting like 9.3 volts at the coils.

Comment

Working...
                  X