X

Project Save the Old Kats -- '93 resuscitation

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suzuki_dog View Post
    LOL! talk about thread-crapping.... just kidding. The CB1100F looks great! Picked up a project CB900F, last fall. Not going as deep as you are, but giving it a freshening up, new paint, too.

Beginning:

New Paint

A couple if pics of how bad the fading was:

Getting there. Your cat will look as good as six-dog's 1100F, I'm sure.

Sorry to thread-crap, versicat!

What's going on with the paint on the tank, in the last 2 pics?

Last edited by johnod; 04-13-2017, 01:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post

I'm pretty sure those are "before" pictures...

Comment

Originally posted by versicat View Post
        I'm pretty sure those are "before" pictures...
        Sun-fading did the damage in the last two pics, they are "before" pics....
        GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

Comment

Ah right, I see that now.

Comment

Nothing like starting with one that needs work. Tank has some dents but mine was pretty bad too. Patience will save you some time and money but I am not sometimes short of one, the other or both!

Comment

working on the dented tank. May be too far gone but I don't want to pay the big bucks for a new one. I'm using a DIY method of pulling dents I found on YouTube:

Using JB weld with hooked nails:

Originally posted by branumhawk View Post
              Nothing like starting with one that needs work. Tank has some dents but mine was pretty bad too. Patience will save you some time and money but I am not sometimes short of one, the other or both!
              Unfortunately for me, I've got this horrible disorder; it manifests as an extreme boredom with anything that that works right and looks good. It has to have "potential" for me to be interested in it, and when I dump a ton of time and money into it to get it working right and looking good I am then mysteriously compelled to sell it for pennies on the dollar
              Last edited by versicat; 04-15-2017, 02:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Are you working from the fuel sender hole? As long as you can get the basic shape, filler would cover anything else.... a slide hammer would of worked also. Edit: oooh, I see what your doing, the tape threw me. Pshhhhh I would of had slide hammer holes all over then welded them close and sealed the tank with POR-15.
                Last edited by 92xjunker; 04-15-2017, 02:30 PM.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                  Are you working from the fuel sender hole? As long as you can get the basic shape, fuller would cover anything else.... a slide hammer would of worked also. Edit: oooh, I see what your doing, the tape threw me. Pshhhhh I would of had slide hammer holes all over then welded them close and sealed the tank with POR-15.
                  My plan is to use a slide hammer, get it as close as possible, then use filler. These are nails bent into a hook at the tip to attach to the slide hammer, JB-welded onto the dent. then I'll grind off the JB weld.

I am following this dubious method in this youtube video (note dude tosses a match into the tank lol):

Comment

This should be a fun lesson. Very interested in how this goes...

Comment

Love it!!! Keep the pics coming!
                      79 Honda Red CBX, 79 Honda Silver CBX, 82 Suzuki 1000 Katana, 76 Kawasaki KZ900, 84 VF1000F, 07 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol, 95 CB1000 Big One, 1987 Hondaxl600R, 1978 Honda XL250S, 2006 Yamaha TW200

Comment

I plan to do a simple stock-looking silver paint scheme. Two questions for y'all:

1. anyone know what the stock silver color/paint is?

2. are these decal sets any good (or where can I get a good decal set): http://www.ebay.com/itm/CutGrafix-19...z1pEhw&vxp=mtr

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by versicat View Post
                          I plan to do a simple stock-looking silver paint scheme. Two questions for y'all:

1. anyone know what the stock silver color/paint is?

2. are these decal sets any good (or where can I get a good decal set): http://www.ebay.com/itm/CutGrafix-19...z1pEhw&vxp=mtr

Thanks!
                          Not sure about the color, I'll post at GSR and see if anyone knows...

Be careful of some decal sets for the Kat, the Suzuki letters are smaller than the originals. That said, this set looks pretty nice and the letters seem correct from the pictures.

Comment

I got mine through ebay and they look good...but yes be sure about the color.
                            79 Honda Red CBX, 79 Honda Silver CBX, 82 Suzuki 1000 Katana, 76 Kawasaki KZ900, 84 VF1000F, 07 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol, 95 CB1000 Big One, 1987 Hondaxl600R, 1978 Honda XL250S, 2006 Yamaha TW200

Comment

The color code is 13L - Bright Silver Metallic. Hope this helps
                              MelWain

Comment

Originally posted by Mel Wainwright View Post
                                The color code is 13L - Bright Silver Metallic. Hope this helps
                                It does - thanks!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X