X

05 GXS750F: Battery not staying charged

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 05 GXS750F: Battery not staying charged

Ok. I've checked multiple post but nothing I saw was exactly my issue, BUT I did see some information that I could use in finding the culprit. The problem is I have ZERO mechanic skills. I'm more than willing to try but I don't know what the name of anything is or where to find it. (sad as shit... I know)

That being said here is my problem:

Two months ago I rode my bike to a friends house. It was about a 1 1/2 hr drive. We hung out for about three hours, but when I went to leave, my bike wouldn't start. It made no sound at all. The lights just dimmed. I figured I might have left the light on or something and jumped it and I was on my way. I rode the bike without incident for about 4 more weeks with no problem.

Then I rode out another 1 1/2 hrs to another friends house. I get ready to leave and nothing happens again. I didn't have a way to jump it so I just started wiggling wires on the left side of the bike through the holes in the fairings. I have not the slightest idea what the wires do, but for some reason, the bike started and I got home.

Next I ride out to another friends house and it won't start when I get ready to leave. i try the wire wiggle move again and nothing. Crap. So I go out and buy a new battery. It starts right up.

I get up the next day just to see if it would turn over, and nothing again. I put the trickle charger on the bike and tried to start it a few hours later and it started right up. I'm at a loss now.

Symptoms: Not starting after sitting for more than one hour. Everything is completely functioning correctly when riding. Has worsened over time. Initially, would wiggle the wires under the clutch lever/through the holes in fairing and it would start back up. (i read about some two prong plug that might have been disconnected under the clutch lever but that was in place). If I go and get gas directly after starting the bike, it starts right up afterwards, but after I get to my destination and turn it off, it wont start up again. It makes no clicks or sounds of any kind when it starts to malfunction. After I get home, I always put it on the trickle charger and it starts every time. Just to see what would happen, I went for a short ride and didn't reconnect the charger when i got back and the next day it wouldn't start again. It's a brand new battery not even two weeks old.

I think it's the alternator, but I have no idea what I'm talking about so all the help you can give me will be very much appreciated. I've read in some other post about some kind of meter and reading this and that. I'm more than willing to do anything that is suggested, but please remember when writing your response that I have not the slightest clue as to what you are describing. I do have a chilltons repair book to use as a reference if need be though for what parts of the bike you're referring to. Any tools you suggest I use, you will probably have to tell me where I can get it, and what the hell it does. Sorry for my complete and utter lack of knowledge. I know it must be frustrating for the vets. I haven't ridden in over a month now and I'm about to snap.
    "This too shall pass"
    99' Katana 600
    05' Katana 750

Have your battery load tested, a battery can carry a full +12v charge but not have the amperage to start the bike... I'm 99.9% sure it's the battery.

An easy test to check the status of the battery;
    Take a multimeter and check the static (ignition key OFF) voltage of the battery, it might be around 12vdc... now turn the ignition key on. Notice a drop in voltage?... now try and start the bike, did it drop even more?
    If it drops below 10vdc, you need to replace the battery.

To test your alternator, with the multimeter, test the voltage at the battery with the bike running.. should be no more that 14.5vdc.

FYI, I also sell Shorai batterys.
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Shameless plug...lol. +1
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

+1 to that^...but I'll bite on that plug.

Jim, what's your price on those batteries...shipped to 95621?
        why.......do I not believe you?

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          Shameless plug...lol. +1

And......
          http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
          http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
          '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
          "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
          "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

? What?....lol. You'll like that battery.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
              Have your battery load tested, a battery can carry a full +12v charge but not have the amperage to start the bike... I'm 99.9% sure it's the battery.

An easy test to check the status of the battery;
              Take a multimeter and check the static (ignition key OFF) voltage of the battery, it might be around 12vdc... now turn the ignition key on. Notice a drop in voltage?... now try and start the bike, did it drop even more?
              If it drops below 10vdc, you need to replace the battery.

To test your alternator, with the multimeter, test the voltage at the battery with the bike running.. should be no more that 14.5vdc.

FYI, I also sell Shorai batterys.

Thanks for the information. I'm going to check it out this weekend. I just took off the plastics today but I have to get some stuff done.

UPDATE: Now even with a brand new battery it does nothing. Me is screwed.
              "This too shall pass"
              99' Katana 600
              05' Katana 750

Comment

Did you test the alternator? Is their anything that could be draining the power while the bikes off? I only ask because i have things added on my bike connected to the battery directly
                Batman
                1985 Suzuki GSX750S Katana
                2006 Suzuki GSX750F Katana

Comment

If you have a power drain... pull out the digital volt meter.

Disconnect both battery cables from the battery. Set the volt meter to measure resistance. Put the test leads on the battery cables (battery not connected!) and you SHOULD get a OL or open line reading. If your measuring resistance, then you have a competed circuit that is draining power.

Narrow down what circuit that is by pulling fuses one at a time until you fine which breaks the connection and gives you the OL reading.

That will narrow down some what where the power draw is.

Once you know what circuit you can focus on tracing down those wires and components to check for further specifics on the issue.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                  X