X

Carb Rebuild-Float Sticking

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Rebuild-Float Sticking

(2002 Katana 600) I rebuilt the carbs last night, and one of my floats isn't wanting to spring back like the others. Do I adjust the metal tab on the float until it functions like the others? Thanks for any help yall!

By the way, Berryman's Chem Dip is amazing!
    "It's better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation."-Herman Melville
    Chris
    graphic designer | drummer
    2002 Katana 600
    Check out my band Decadence @ Reverb Nation: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/decadenceband

with 98+ carbs it's really easy to clean the float needle and seat. Just take the seat out, take the o-ring off and soak the needle and seat in barrymans. Than dry them off with a q-tip and blow compressed air through the seat. The o-ring is 7 x 1.5, use Viton, if you need to replace it. If you have a Graiger near you, they have them.

Comment

I would look at making sure the float is seated right, they can twist and then not hinge.
      Also look at the pivot, maybe it needs more cleaning. Finally inspect the float valve, maybe something is hung up there. (where it hooks to the float. Do you have the spring loaded nipples on the ends?
      Not sure how that changed year to year.
      The adjustment where you bend the tab is for a specific resting level. If the float doesn't move freely it will stick.

Comment

Did you find the float bowl screws alright? Lowes might be your best bet, they sometimes have metric stuff.

Comment

Yea, I got the float bowl screws just fine, the only thing is, after rebuilding the carbs, the little metal tab on the float (carb #1) is slightly bent, causeing it not to spring back up, it just sticks.......also, any one order from CarbkitCapital.com before??? My bowl gaskets DID NOT fit at all!!!
          Chris
          2002 Katana 600
          Check out my band Decadence @ Reverb Nation: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/decadenceband

Comment

yeah, I have. ALL 98+ float bowl gaskets are like that. You gotta seal them in with o-ring lube. Then they'll fit. Grainger has that too.

Comment

thats what i was thinking but thats a pretty good bend you have to put in them,
              I'll go try that! Thanks!
              Chris
              2002 Katana 600

Comment

Got the bike back together......bowls aren't filling up with gas, won't crank. Problem: Carbkitscapital sent me the wrong kit, seats are totally different...I guess I should contact them and get money back or a new CORRECT kit sent.....what a way to spend the weekend
                Chris
                2002 Katana 600

Comment

how would the wrong kits stop the bowls from filling up with fuel?
                  You know what DO NOT have the wrong kits in them, or a stuck float? THESE
                  Last edited by arsenic; 03-05-2011, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Flag on the play!!!
                    Chris 5 yard penalty for shameless pimping....

Hey, you bought what from where? I'm not seeing that they sell 98+ parts..
                    I'm not finding 2002 600 kat for sure..
                    If you got new float valves they could be the wrong size..

Comment

shameless pimpin' is what I do best BP
                      I don't see them on their website either. But they also sell on eBay.
                      Last edited by arsenic; 03-05-2011, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                        I don't see them on their website either. But they also sell on eBay.
                        Well that's why I ask. Some dumb *** could have thrown any old kit up there.. I know Old Bike Barn sold me an early style kit for my 95..
                        (it came with the valve seat)

Comment

yeah, Old Bike Barns sucks large farm animals. But I ordered a complete gasket kit from them for an 89-92 GSXR 1100. I emailed them BEFORE I paid to make sure they had it in stock. If they had to order, they're not going to get it.

Comment

I just put the old seats and needles back in with the new o-rings only and its running fine, no more fuel leak...finally. I also changed out the oil and oil filter b/c there was gas in the oil, and decided to paint the exhaust, so I'm pretty happy the way everything turned out, for now, lol
                            Chris
                            2002 Katana 600

Comment

awesome

Comment

Working...
                              X