X

valve job

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve job

anybody ever do a valve job on there 1100 head. did you do it your self or send it out? wanted to freshen up the head on my 1000 kat had low comp on 1 cylinder after i over reved one night. probably tapped a valve. took apart , but didn't see any witness marks.

I am an engine builder & I race GS 1100s & 1150s. Call me at 714-356-7845 if you want good QUALITY work for a reasonable price. Thanks, Ray.
    85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

The way you have phrased your question it sounds like you need a professional inspection and possible replacement of one or more bent valves and or scored seats. If that is the case then friend Ray would be your best bet for getting a proper evaluation and repair if needed.

Refreshing the head to me means removing the valves, cleaning them and re-lapping them to the seats something that most home mechanics can do.....if they know what they are doing. Lapping a valve and seat , if done incorrectly can make matters worse.

For peace of mind, I'd be letting the "pro" have a shot at it.

Let us know how it turns out.

Good luck.
      Spyug

Comment

should have put water in the valves to see if they leak first before tearing down, water gets through air sure will, if the seats are messed up theyll need fixed or replaced at least, as well as the valves
        if all is ok just lapp tham reassemble, but new guides,and a real valve job is always best
        you will need to check the valve stem top as well ,since thats where they rub, unless you have a bucket,or shim style then you need to check the shims,replace as needed
        no real hard , get a real manual read the $hit out of it first,if you dont have one it will help a lot

Comment

I like to use gas, instead of water. Same effect. Gas smells better.
          GSX1000SZ-My Beloved Rat http://photobucket.com/GIABLO-MOTO 714-461-9607 [email protected]

Comment

Actually, rubbing alcohol or solvent are the best to use. I would NEVER use water! The reason SHOULD be obvious! Ray.
            85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

I was being polite.
              GSX1000SZ-My Beloved Rat http://photobucket.com/GIABLO-MOTO 714-461-9607 [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by cyclefvr2 View Post
                should have put water in the valves to see if they leak first before tearing down, water gets through air sure will, if the seats are messed up theyll need fixed or replaced at least, as well as the valves
                if all is ok just lapp tham reassemble, but new guides,and a real valve job is always best

Comment

thanks for the info. just figuring out if a lot of guys do the work them selves or always send out.

Comment

Working...
                  X