X

Finally some fire in the hole.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally some fire in the hole.

Well after considerable time and effort, I was able to free up the engine and today I got it to fire.

It was unbelievably difficult to get this engine to go and I don't really understand why. The static timing was spot on, it turned over fine, there was lots of spark (new plugs) and the carbs were meticulously cleaned and rebuilt..it just wouldn't fire. I tried gas in the cylinders and even ether ( which I never recommend for bike engines) and couldn't get anything...not a peep or a fart.

Today, with an old set of carbs from my GS, which have been sitting on a shelf for 3 years she fired after about 5 minutes of cranking. I did not have the airbox or pods on but did have the mouths covered with plastic wrap (with a small hole in them). It started with no choke but revved around 4000.rpm.

I switched it to the set of carbs that came with the bike and which I had meticulously cleaned and rebuilt. It started right up again but on 3/4 choke but only revved at 2000 rpm. It wouldn't run off choke so there is till work to do.

With it now running, I can think about going forward with the project, more or less confident that I can end up with a working bike.

Thanks to all that have helped and shown interest.

Cheers,
    spyug

Great job...let us know what you do to fine tune it.

Comment

Thanks.

Haven't got any further with tuneing as I need airhoses for the airbox. The originals are hard and no longer useable. The hoses are unfortunately on back order with no known ETA. I had fabbed up some replacements out of auto rad hose but, due to lack of clearance between carbs and frame it is impossible to get them on.

I was thinking now of going with pods but K&Ns are cost prohibiitive and Emgos, while cheaper, are junk ( little to no air restriction). If I go pods it will likely be Unis and if I can find the right size.

In the meanwhile I will be switching attention to the running gear and will pull wheels and forks this weekend coming. Wheels will go in for bearings and tires next week and I'll rebuild the forks.

Lots still to do in the next 3 months.

Cheers,
      Spyug

Comment

I had a Yamaha that dropped a valve and busted the guide
        Rebuilt the head but could never get it to run again
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

title misleading... thought it was about an STD

congrats =)
          the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
          # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
          [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Go to www.gszone.biz & look at their filters. Same as K&Ns but half the cost. I also have the CORRECT adjustable needles for your carbs for 75 bucks SHIPPED if you are in the USA. Ray.
            85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Working...
            X