Girly Man Needs Help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girly Man Needs Help

Hi All,

I'm having trouble wrenching off some nuts of the Kat. I'm looking at replacing the riser with a set of clip ons. However, the nuts holding the riser are on so tight that I can't turn them with a socket set. I don't seem to have the strength to turn the nut. I also can't fit a power tool underneath to have the power to pull off the riser.

Any suggestions?
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

not exactly sure what the riser in but I'm guessing it goes somewhere on the handlebars. Maybe you could possibly heat the bolts up with an acetylene torch and they should come right out. Or if heating them up is a problem due to nearby cable,wires ect you can just try spray PB blaster on them and letting them sit overnight and than trying them in the morning. Or pay for my plane ticket,food, alcohol ect. and I will come he man it out for ya

Comment

Ahem...go to Sears or the like and buy what is called a "breaker bar." More leverage is the key, not heat or torches. A breaker bar will cost you around $20.

Ok...so Sears calls it a "flex handle."

"Give me a big enough lever and I can move the world."

Comment

I just had mine off a bit ago to swap the entire top triple.

Anyway, gonna sound real stupid but working upside down and very sweaty, I was turning the wrong way.

Doh!
        "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

+1 on the breaker bar.

Although spraying some PB Buster and letting it sit is not a bad idea either. Another thing to try is giving the head of the bolt a sharp blow with a hammer. Often the impact will help loosen the bolt.

Comment

I was doing the same thing to put on some Vortex clip-ons... until I broke them in the process But, yes, those 4 bolts are tough. You really just need more leverage. I remember that I used a 16-inch beam-style torque wrench to actually take the bolts off, but if you're using a socket set, try to find some kind of pipe you can slide over the socket-drive arm to give you more torque.

BTW, what kind of clip-ons are you using? Even though I messed mine up, I'd still like to swap 'em out.
            "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Penetrating lubricant and a cheater bar. An 18" length of 3/4" black iron pipe works great and goes for about $2.50. If you want more bling, splurge on the $3 galvanized one.

With that much force on tap, it is fairly easy to twist the head off or damage the rachet, so SKNL's breaker bar aka flex-head is a good first try; bringing the tools and doing it a block away from the dealer will save you the tow if it snaps....

Comment

+1 on the pipe. Never tried it on the bike, but always worked in other tight situations.
                Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
                - Albert Einstein

Comment

Looks like the "flex handle" solution is the best. I'll drop by Sears this week.
                  "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_K
                    BTW, what kind of clip-ons are you using? Even though I messed mine up, I'd still like to swap 'em out.
                    Vortex is coming out with a new 7 degree clip-on that about a 1/4" to 1/2" thinner than their previous 10 degree model. The newmer model is supposed to be due out at the end of June. The 7 degree clip-on isn't as aggressive as the 10 degree one in terms of angle and comes in silver and black colours.

Comment

Re: Girly Man Needs Help

Originally posted by Kat-A-Tonic
                      Hi All,

I'm having trouble wrenching off some nuts of the Kat. . .
                      Ya' know, all I had to read was that first sentence and I was just horrified to the point I was ready to call the ASPCA.

Vet's office man. They have anesthetic and actual surgical procedures for that.
                      ---Jeff (Long Beach Represent!)

'99 Katana 750 (Metallic Space Blue / Matte Silky Gray Metallic)
                      Plus some cars.

"Never Break More than You Fix..."

Comment

I don't know about 98+
                        but the pre 98 have clips holding the
                        nuts... That could be a problem..
                        Though I do remember that mine were
                        pretty tight.. Worth taking a look to
                        make sure there isn't something holding the nut..

After all having that riser fall off would ruin
                        your day.

Comment

LOL i was going to say use a pipe to!

Comment

Working...
                          X