No announcement yet.
X

Motorcyclist hit by lightning in rush hour traffic in Denver

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought it wasnt the voltage that killed you but the heat of the bolt when it comes to lightning?

Comment

Well it's not the voltage either way, it's the current. But yeah, the heat is also pretty extreme. I think there are different factors to that though.

"The core of lightning is 54,0000 0F. This is roughly six times hotter than the surface of the sun!"

Obviously if all that heat really gets transferred around strikes than the bike would have exploded... and lightning rods on buildings would burn away. I'm not really sure how the heat factors in, but even still, people have lived through lightning strikes... It's possible the lightning didn't actually concentrate on him, but he still would have tremendous amounts of charge surging through his body just being in close proximity.

Comment

+1

When lightnig stikes a tree directly, it explodes or catches fire because the water whithin it is instantaneously evaporated by the intense heat.

Remember this:

Your chances of being struck by lightning are greater than your chances of winning the lottery.
        Race On The Track ... Never On The Street

Comment

Originally posted by FrankTheTank
          Your chances of being struck by lightning are greater than your chances of winning the lottery.
          I would imagine that it is highly depends on where you live...

I happen to live in the lightening capital of the USA (and debatably, the lightening capital of the world -- at least in most years; it's ranked #2 sometimes).

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

What do you expect, your hockey team is the Tampa Bay Lightning for crying out loud .

Here are some other odds (including lightning and lottery) you might find interesting...

A shame about the guy on the bike. Whenever something bad happens that's against the odds, I always call that "winning the shit lottery".
            ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              Note the first story link now has video story footage:

Late New Story - Motorcyclist Hit by Lightening (WMV).

Noon News Story - Motorcyclist Hit by Lightening (WMV)
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Unbelievable, as if there was not enough stories of things that happen to people that ride bikes, this one takes the cake.
              Tito "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."

Comment

Well I guess it can happen...go figure....

Comment

This is one of the many reasons I do not ride in the rain... or when there is lightning!!!
                  Poor guy!
                  "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                  JOHN 16:33

Comment

Working...
                  X