X

Model X/Model Y/Model W/etc...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model X/Model Y/Model W/etc...

Yeah, how do you find out what model your bike is?
    Aside from the colour, is there even a difference between the X, Y and W models? What about the K1/K2/K3 models?
    I'm just about to order about $3000 worth of new parts (I'm not paying, so I don't mind getting new parts instead of the cheaper used stuff) and the part numbers are different between the different models.

If it's just colour then it really wouldn't matter what I get, 'cause my bike had a Toyota Blue paint job on it anyway, so nothing stock will match (although it will be cheaper to repaint the surviving parts, in which case I'll get black).

For the most part, everything is interchangeable on the pre98's between model years, and the same with 98+ (with itself, not each other).

Usually when you click through all the part numbers on Ron Ayers or a similar site... it goes down to one part number that fits multiple applications.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Looked in my haynes manual and it was right there on page 0-13
      This is true for bother 600 and 750 models:
      Model W = 1998
      Model X = 1999
      Model Y = 2000
      Model K1 = 2001
      Model K2 = 2002

I'm guessing K3 is 2003, but my manual is for 98-02 katanas, so it doesn't list it.

Comment

Yes, the K-series number will continue to at least 2010 and applies to all Suzuki motorcycle models (i.e. - and 2007 GSXR1k is a GSXR1000K7).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Steves - thanks for the plug for Cyclepedia.com - I appreciate it. Incidentally we just took possession of the last two successions of the Katana 600 and will be producing online manuals for each over the fall. We'll post something on our site soon. I did a month long cross country trip on a 1993 Suzuki Katana 750 so it has a special place in my heart. Ride safe!

Comment

Maybe I missed something. I thought the letters were universal in the codes and corresponded to the appropriate year. Based on cyclepedia's site, thats not the case. Is this true only on motorcycles?

Comment

Originally posted by bigcoupebmw View Post
              Maybe I missed something. I thought the letters were universal in the codes and corresponded to the appropriate year. Based on cyclepedia's site, thats not the case. Is this true only on motorcycles?
              Each manufacturer uses their own coding sequence. Thus, the code for a Volkswagen (car) or Honda (bike) can be radically different than a Suzuki.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by cyclepedia View Post
                Steves - thanks for the plug for Cyclepedia.com - I appreciate it. Incidentally we just took possession of the last two successions of the Katana 600 and will be producing online manuals for each over the fall. We'll post something on our site soon. I did a month long cross country trip on a 1993 Suzuki Katana 750 so it has a special place in my heart. Ride safe!
                kind of odd that you just showed up in time to see the referral. Have you got spies or something

Welcome to KR, and by the way, you should post up some pics of your month long journey!

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Working...
                X