X

1100 Triple/Fork setup

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1100 Triple/Fork setup

was wondering if there was any other triple and fork setups that will bolt right on to a 92, i hate the setup thats on it now and would like to go with some sort of clip ons, and preferably inverted forks, any ideas, pictures?
    thanks

this sort of idea ....

dunno what forks he used but i expect he transferred the post out of the 1100 bottom yoke to the new yoke and altered his lock stops ..

does that help ?
    it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

yeah looking for something like that

Comment

I started looking into this a while ago and I think you can swap in anything that will fit the head bearing. You would have to look at your donor bike but you should be able to press on the Katana bearings to the new triple clamp shaft. Likely donors could come from most older Suzuki bikes like 95 and earlier gsxr 750s, RF 900s and 98 and earlier GSXR 1100s. This will also give you a 17" wheel mod and better brakes. Make sure you get something that can be adjusted to the stock length. However the clip ons will be an issue, The Kat 1100 has a pretty unique handle bar and I think the forks are only 27mm which is pretty small so nothing will slide right in. To solve this problem will require some machine work, you could use the bottom part of the triple clamp from your donor but you still have to find a creative way to mount some bars. If you have serious access to a buddy and his machine shop then all you need to do is make a set of triple clamps like your stock ones but with bigger holes to accept any suspension you want and still be able to bolt on the stock clip ons. Until I find a reasonable solution to the top triple clamp, I am not going to swap anything it just yet.
        01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Comment

I was looking into this as well. I had just missed a busa front end on e-bay with everything, wheel bars brakes levers etc. That would have been a score since everything was there and I think ignition would have even bolted in. Now the fork turn stops seam to be Kat exclusive and would require the lower tripple clamp to have a bit of material added for the stops. As for bars my research has let me to convertibars. Stand alone clamp mount and very adjustable, once I had them set I would probably trim all the excess material away for a cleaner look. The issue I am running into is this was a cheap bike in great shape that gave me all the basics but after spending the cash it is still a 1991 bike and as such the tech is way behind the curve. I am now just really thinking of maintaining and enjoying and buying another newer bike and adding to my collection. Maybe a sprint st or even tiger as a daily mount. I see many bikes in my future including a Harley Bagger full dresser. Dont laugh, gave lots of thought, wing or harley. You have to remove the motor and split the cases to change the wings alternator, hmm. not too friendly if your on a trip and stupid expensive either way. You can now build a very strong FI harley with a 6 speed get good mpg and have places to keep stuff. Sounds better than that new toy carolla to me.

Comment

Rifleman put a set of 1990 GSXR 1100 forks on his bike and then he got a Handlebar kit from http://www.spieglerusa.com/ to take care of the top.

You can have a lot of fun on a Katana 1100 if it is just properly maintained and don't ride it beyond it's limits, plus it is comfy, reliable and cheap. I am with you on the harley, I would like to get a street glide or an ultra classic (basically anything with a radio since I am sick of messing with an iPod in my helmet). However with a wife and 2 kids at home, the $2,000 dollar 1100 makes more sence than a $20,000 bike I would hardly have time to ride anyway. On top of that, there are a million harleys and recently I seem to be the only guy in Delaware that still rides a Kat 1100. Heck even trying to find somebody riding anything air/oil cooled is hard to do. Since I basically grew up on one of these bikes, I love riding up route 9 on a 20 y/old bike with some kid on his top of the line ZX/R1/CBR whatever going, "I can't keep up." This bike is way to cost effective to get rid of, and girls ride Hayabusas now.
            01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Comment

I dont think I will ever part with the Kat, no reason to. As for a Harley, I will buy one from some one that used it as a status symbol, lol You know the type 2k miles after 4 years and got downsized and needs the money to pay for his wifes lex and his bmw.

Comment

Working...
              X