Katana 1100 Performance Mods

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana 1100 Performance Mods

I own a 1993 Katana 1100.

What are the best Bang for the Buck Modifications?

5* ignition advancer, sprockets, and exhaust/jetting.

Comment

4 into1 pipes, Airbox Mod (K&N) and Jet Kit, remember to adjust valves before carbs - as the valve adjustment will change the engine vacuum.

Best Mod - Keep it tuned

Ign advancer does help the midrange after the jet kits.
      Its not the speed of life that kills you - It's that sudden stop at the end

Comment

Everyone else has mentioned the goods. Get a Morgan carbtune and keep an eye on the carb synch- adjust every 5000 miles. It doesn't take much for these bikes to go out of synch and they run so much less buzzy with even a minor tweek.
        I was pretty impressed with how much braided steel lines helped my front brake. That and regular flushings of bake fluid make them feel way better.
        Also, I like what relays,12gwire and a 80/100w bulb did for thge lighting. I know it won't make the bike faster, but it sure makes it easier to drive fast at night.

Comment

Better ignition coils? Does MSD or another brand make Higher voltage coils to power the marginal ignition on the big kat?

Comment

Originally posted by SupRnatural View Post
            Better ignition coils? Does MSD or another brand make Higher voltage coils to power the marginal ignition on the big kat?
            You'll note that I mentioned this in the spark plug thread. Dyna makes a coil for the Kat. I think Accel and possibly Nology also has one for the kat, but I can say that the Dyna coils fit well i the small space on the cat.
            Coils work by multiplying the voltage from the ignition. They basically are nothing more than a bunch of wire wrapped around rods.It is worth noting that even a minor increase in the volage coming into them will result in a much larger voltage coming out.
            I think the best thing would be to get a dyna ignition. They run about $300 though. On the other hand, if you have a stock bike, getting dynacoils and iridium plugs will run you over $150, which is half the cost of the ignition, which will not only deliver much more voltage, offers variable timing for each cylinder. With that, you can open up the spark gap wider than stock spec.
            Honestly, it has been about a decade since I swapped out my stock coils for the dyna's so i can't tell you how much a difference it made. The fact that it doesn't stand out in my mind makes me suggest that you save your money and keep your stock coils.
            Last edited by DClark; 03-19-2008, 12:15 PM.

Comment

So just a iridium plug change and i'm good to ???

Comment

Along with a pipe,jet kit, advancer I put a 88-90 GSXR750 "Slingshot" head on mine.These heads are also on the early 750 Kats.Add in some GSXR 750 cams from same model.Made a REAL BIG difference.If you or a friend can do the swap you can do it in an afternoon for less than 250.00 with ebay parts.

Comment

750 parts fit on a 1127, don't think so??

Originally posted by suzy1052 View Post
                  Along with a pipe,jet kit, advancer I put a 88-90 GSXR750 "Slingshot" head on mine.These heads are also on the early 750 Kats.Add in some GSXR 750 cams from same model.Made a REAL BIG difference.If you or a friend can do the swap you can do it in an afternoon for less than 250.00 with ebay parts.

Comment

The 1127 and the 88-90 750 motors are the short stroke engines produced by Suzuki.A 88-90 GSXR750 head will very much so fit on a 1127 Big Kat as I have done it with no modifications or problems.The 88-90 "Slingshot head however will NOT fit on the 1052 type Gsxr 1100 motor or the 1074 Gsxr 1100 water cooled motor from 93 and up.For someone who is willing to make the effort there is a wealth of info at numerous oil cooled GSXR websites.Do a google for oil cooled monsters and you will be enlightened.

I forgot to mention that the benefit of putting a Slingshot 750 head on is that it has bigger valves(the same size as the 89-93 Gsxr1100) and more compression due to a slightly smaller combustion chamber.Also the the intake manifolds are situated higher on the head which gives it a slight downdraft carb type effect.
                    Last edited by suzy1052; 03-23-2008, 02:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Get a set of GSF 1200 Bandit barrels, pistons and carbs. With a 4-1 pipe, jetting and a replacement K&N filter it should make 25 to 30 horsepower more. A 1mm skim on the head would also raise the compression ratio

Comment

I'm going to allow one last word on the subject.
                        I don't like zombie threads, but this one is short and to the point..

Comment

Working...
                        X