Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb parts appear not to fit! help

Ok,

first carb question.

got the bike, got the carbs. carbs were off the bike. Currently attempting to assemble carbs and get them back on the bike.

When I got the carbs the were assembled except the throttle valves (the bronze circle things) were not put in on carbs 1, 2 and 3. carb 4 had the valve in and the 2 screws holding it appeared stripped.

Question: is it supposed to be DAMN hard to get those valves in? is there a trick. I got one in ok...the rest don't want to go back in. If i force it, I can get them in...kind of, but they don't want to rotate all the way like the other two.

I have a picture of the two pieces. manual said that "if the valve doesnt go in smoothly, get a whole new carb". That seems a bit exessive??? no?

image of the carb, and the valve that i cant get back into place.

Help appreciated!
    Last edited by eak0703; 01-28-2008, 11:24 AM. Reason: fixed broken image linke
    '96 600GSXF

I've never taken those out before . You try seeing if different ones would fit in different carbs perhaps ?
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
      I've never taken those out before . You try seeing if different ones would fit in different carbs perhaps ?

I've no idea why the previous guy took them out...i've gotten 1 in succesfully by just trying it in the various carbs until one accepted it. It looks good...even is ajusted with respect to that bypass hole (the 3 little holes on the bottom)

i have 2 left to get in. neither wants to fit in any of the other carbs...they are both "really close" i can even get them in their place, but then they get stuck and i cant turn them to get the screw holes to line up.

how "air tight does it need to be in there? i'm afraid that
      1. i've already ruined them by trying to get them in there, 2 im affraid that if i try to ever so gently touch 1 side to a fine grind stone then the air leak will render the thing useless anyway.

manual is not helping me either. it says something along the lines of: if it dont fit, get a new carb...dude, if i had the money to do stuff like that...do they really think id be sitting there trying to put together this motley crew of parts
      '96 600GSXF

Comment

1 and 4, good to go. 2 and 3...no matter how hard I try I just can't get those valves in there. it is like they are off another bike.

if i gently take them and grind them down a tiny bit. will that ruin them? how airtight does that valve have to be? small imperfections allowable or not?
        '96 600GSXF

Comment

It's not a good idea to remove them.(the butterflies) Those little brass screws are punched to keep them from backing out. (meaning hammer and punch) At least they are on an automobile carb. If you back them out the screw hole may strip. If you can afford another set of carbs. Do it. If not, do the best you can with them. Do the *bay thing. Or ask fellow KR's for their help. I find many parts here. Even if you just get the shell of the carbs you have the internals.
          Last edited by Kfreak; 01-27-2008, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Butterflys usually have a bevel on the edge...make sure that it's sitting the right way.
            93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

yeah, there is a trick to getting them in, don't take them out. I knew from those picture you posted yesterday, that would be fun, I was hoping it went easy for you, but I guess not.

Comment

I took them out when I cleaned my carbs. I even think the suzuki manual says to grind the part of the screw that is smashed off to take them off.

But putting them back in....there should be an etched square or something like that, it is small about 1/8" square. I can't remember which way it is suppose to point, toward the engine or toward the airfilter. Also those don't fit at a 90 degree in there, they actually fit at an angle, so yeah they are little larger diameter. I found some computer screws to actually work nicely when reinstalling them.

CAUTION::::: Don't use your thumb to push them in!!!! I did that and my thumb split wide open, so i had to clean the blood off the carbs.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
                  yeah, there is a trick to getting them in, don't take them out. I knew from those picture you posted yesterday, that would be fun, I was hoping it went easy for you, but I guess not.
                  baah...easy is no fun!

also, unfortunately, your trick will not work as they are already out

how that guy got them out, i have no idea...

i do have carbs 1 and 4 all set.

im going to try and file down the other two a little bit. I mean, if it doesnt work...no harm, there was no saving it anyway.

All i need to know is whether or not the bike has the potential to start. if the bike can start then I can take care of the rest.
                  '96 600GSXF

Comment

they are tight, but not that tight, they start hard but get easier. i would just use a file to make sure the edges are smooth.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80 View Post
                      they are tight, but not that tight, they start hard but get easier. i would just use a file to make sure the edges are smooth.
                      Yep, was just doing exactly that, got carb #2 in. tight, but not impossible.

now working on #3. also...i think either the prev owner, or myself stripped the thread a bit on the 2 screws. Rather on where you put the screws in. I don't think it is un salvage-able.

I am thinking of trying some of the computer screws..they have a slightly tapered end and could possibly screw in
                      '96 600GSXF

Comment

Originally posted by eak0703 View Post
                        Yep, was just doing exactly that, got carb #2 in. tight, but not impossible.

now working on #3. also...i think either the prev owner, or myself stripped the thread a bit on the 2 screws. Rather on where you put the screws in. I don't think it is un salvage-able.

I am thinking of trying some of the computer screws..they have a slightly tapered end and could possibly screw in
                        You should not file the edges. they are tapered for a tight fit when closed.
                        also be sure to use loc-tite on the screws, you don't want one coming out and going through the engine. It will get stuck in the valves and destroy the piston/cylinder
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                          You should not file the edges. they are tapered for a tight fit when closed.
                          also be sure to use loc-tite on the screws, you don't want one coming out and going through the engine. It will get stuck in the valves and destroy the piston/cylinder

what happens if they let a little air through? higher fuel consumption? which would manifest itself by higher idle rpms with no ability to drop them down?

or would the result simply be a non startable engine?

Thanks for the lock-tite tip. I will definitely be doing that. Supposing these carbs can actually work after the butchering that i am putting them through.

i can't get away without filing down those butterfly valves a little. I've tried for hours and spilled blood and the only way that i got one in was after filing it down a little (as evenly as possible)

Originally posted by BarMatt80 View Post
                          I found some computer screws to actually work nicely when reinstalling them.

CAUTION::::: Don't use your thumb to push them in!!!! I did that and my thumb split wide open, so i had to clean the blood off the carbs.
                          Great tip on those computer screws! tried them out and the fit great and helped to re-create the thread that was stripped. I will definitely use lock-tite on them as another member suggested before trying to run them though.

Also, good call on the thumb thing! i read your post as I was starting to push down on the valve with my thumb

I did manage to cut myself and still got blood all over the carbs (which i then had to clean off) but my thumbs are A-OK!
                          Last edited by eak0703; 01-27-2008, 11:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          '96 600GSXF

Comment

you will be fine if you filed some. Now if it is major filing job them maybe have some lean issues(more air). the butterfly valves are suppose to be slightly open anyways.

Comment

Wil most DEFINATELY cause synch issues ...... but maybe you can make it work anyway with some tweaking of the jetting and synch screws and such .
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X