X

So since I'm waiting on my replacement carbs.....parts list

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So since I'm waiting on my replacement carbs.....parts list

Mine as well, since it's apart and the carbs will take a week or so to get here.

1. I'm going to check valve clearances. I have a receipt saying they were done, but the same 'mechanics' cleaned the carbs and didn't care to mention the HOLE in the carb itself

2. I'm going to order the parts needed to rebuild the 'new to me' carbs. Do it now, do it right and be done with it. I'll look at Special K's offerings and email him

3. I thought the valve cover gasket was seeping, but it appears to be the separator / breather cover that bolts on top. I'll clean that out as well...is there a gasket under there?

4. Cam chain tensioner spring - Figure it's cheap insurance. There's a definite 'rattle / tap' coming from that general area so it's either the valve clearance or the CCT spring.

Anything else motor wise?

Thanks

Chris

3: Yeah , there's some "stuff" under there .
    Without really knowing what you got and what's going on , hard telling . We know you have carb issues , but that's about it .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
      3: Yeah , there's some "stuff" under there .
      Without really knowing what you got and what's going on , hard telling . We know you have carb issues , but that's about it .
      Just want to check / do the 'easy' things since I've already got the carbs off.

I've got a bit of a rattle. I'm going to verify it isn't valves or CCT spring, and exhaust leak.

Clean the motor up a bit.

Probably lube all the cables and get all the 'general' maintenance stuff done as well, clean the chain / re-lube etc, that way when I get the carbs sorted out I can just RIDE it..

Comment

good idea .. if its got to be apart .. use the time to get at things you cant normally get to .. im sure chris will post shortly with a list of other recommeneded things to do .. so i will just leave any ideas to the expert .. good luck and hope you get her running again soon
        so many roads so little time

Comment

okay, here I am.
          1. yes adjust the valves without know the year I don't know if it's shim or screw, but screws are easy, shims are not.
          3. There is a breather cover gasket but it's VERY UNLIKELY that is leaking.
          4. That rattle/tap is cert6ainly valve chatter, no need to replace the CCT spring.

Comment

1. yes adjust the valves without know the year I don't know if it's shim or screw, but screws are easy, shims are not.

'91 so it's shim. Not a biggie, can't be harder than some of the weird project cars I've worked on. I'm sure the hardest part is finding / getting the shims

There is a breather cover gasket but it's VERY UNLIKELY that is leaking

it might be just dirty and need cleaned out. But there is 'seepage' from there. I'll take it apart, clean it and check it out

Comment

there is a clearance chart, Steves can post it, I've seen him do it before. If your clearance is X then you need X shim, once you know what you need, order the shims from a dealer.

Comment

-Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

there you go.

Comment

and no it's not 1991 is screw. 88-91 is screw J, K, L, M. And 92-97 are shim N, P, R, S, T, V.

Comment

1991 is screw? good for me then....

Comment

Working...
                      X