KOTM Dec 2008 waveman

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Mechanics 101 Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Old 06-12-2018, 04:21 PM   #1
Wraith81
Squid

Default Need advice: 99 Katana 600, bad carb with TPS sensor

Hey all. It's been a long time since my last post. Long story short, I've been trying for over a year (very casually) to get the bike up and running. I knew it was vacuum and carb related in my diagnoses. Did a rebuild with OEM kit on the carbs, but the carbs got damaged while off the bike. (Dropped on accident)

On the rightmost carb (The one with the TPS) the TPS sensor, and mounting screw holes were damaged and are unusable. There also was a minor spot where part of the fuel /air flow channel was damaged (See pictures). I patched the exposed flow area carefully, but the TPS mounting is totally unusable. I got the bike up and running but it's just rough constantly no matter what I do. I've eliminated the vacuum leak at the intake boots. It's a bish to start, and hard to keep running, and in general, its not fun to ride in the current state.

I decided to take it to a shop, pay someone to diagnose and fix the issue. They have come back and said the patch and TPS issue is the actual issue as the rebuild job looked good and carbs appear clean inside. That right side carb is damaged and in their opinion not fixable. But they can't get a new single carb, only the whole rack/set.

I'm not willing to put 700 bucks into new carbs at this point, so looking for some advice on should I buy a used set off eBay and have them use them or just post the bike for sale and cut my losses? I only ever really wanted to spend about 500+/- to get the bike back running. Its the major cost to replace the carbs that are making me think, sell and cut my losses. I'm just hesitant cause everyone says the bikes in great shape for being a 99, she just runs for pot. Does anyone have any advice or thought/ideas on what I could do? The one rebuild I did took ages, and I don't have a place to do it at anymore honestly. Is she really worth putting approx 600-800 dollars into to get running?

https://imgur.com/a/U6NDyyh
https://imgur.com/a/zv0nK5i
Wraith81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
01kat750
Tank Slapper

You may be in luck..
I happen to have a spare set of carbs.
Id be willing to ship just the one you need..

It would be just the bare carb, no other parts included.
I do not have a spare tps sensor.

Let me know if you want it. Ill sell it cheap

06 600. Blue/white mostly stock
07 r6 50th anniversary. A few goodies
01kat750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101