X

gas selection

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas selection

have a 1997 katana and was wondering which direction was which? i have it to the right or rear now and runs fine just wondering if this is correct.

Originally posted by rowdy0452 View Post
    have a 1997 katana and was wondering which direction was which? i have it to the right or rear now and runs fine just wondering if this is correct.

Unless yours is backwards, you are on prime. You don't want to be on prime.

Comment

Yeah, that would be prime. And as long as your floats are working properly, you should be fine with it on prime. At least, that is how it is with post-98 kats.
      Extra life.

Comment

If your floats arent ok then your gonna run into probs
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=132122

Comment

Like 3 gallons of gas in your crank case.

Comment

Prime should only be used to prime the carbs, whether your floats are working properly or not you should never leave it on prime.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
              Prime should only be used to prime the carbs, whether your floats are working properly or not you should never leave it on prime.
              Can you explain why one should never leave the petcock on prime?
              Extra life.

Comment

Prime allows fuel to flow past the petcock. If your float valves aren't working right, they will continue to let fuel flow. It's gotta go somewhere, so it normally ends up leaking into the carb body, down the intakes, and over the pistons.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  Prime allows fuel to flow past the petcock. If your float valves aren't working right, they will continue to let fuel flow. It's gotta go somewhere, so it normally ends up leaking into the carb body, down the intakes, and over the pistons.
                  Also if there is something as simple as a crack or hole in the fuel line the fuel will go everywhere and become a fire hazard.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I mean, assuming that the floats are working as they should. I don't leave my bike on prime just cause...but I wondered why one should never leave the petcock on prime. Is the explanation simply to avoid the potential for your bowls to become flooded?
                    Extra life.

Comment

Yes. There are 2 lines of defense, one is the petcock and the second are the float valves.

With older bikes the petcocks had "on-off-prime" positions. Some folks still like the manual ones.

Also the floats are way more likely to fail then the petcock.
                      Last edited by steves; 09-10-2013, 03:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Got it. Merci
                        Extra life.

Comment

Working...
                        X