Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This dude rules!!!
    Live To Ride, Ride To Live.

Comment

That is so simple, that ought to be great for people looking for a quick and easy solution. good job!

Comment

Did you also wire it in? or do you run it on the battery? my battery only lasts like half an hour so i would want to permanently wire it in. is that possible?
        2006 Suzuki GSX600 Katana - 5k miles, shaved tail, gps cradle and hardwired, LED turn signals

Previous Bikes: 1992 Kawasaki Ninja ZX600C - SOLD

Comment

I did not actually hook it to my bike to charge... Yet.. i am working on that actually. But, from what I see, I want to hook it to the front "marker" light above the headlight. Not sure yet what wire inside is the positive & which is the negative. Going to check it out today as a matter of fact
          If you think routine maintenance is expensive,... Try Ignorance!

Comment

Great job.. Looks like a super clean and easy install.

Originally posted by GSXF 600 Guy View Post
            Not sure yet what wire inside is the positive & which is the negative.
            I know on a pre the black with the white stripe is the +12vdc.
            http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
            http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
            "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
            "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
              Great job.. Looks like a super clean and easy install.

I know on a pre the black with the white stripe is the +12vdc.
              On the posts, theirs a brown wire & a black with a yellow stripe. Brown is the positive.

I'd actually consider getting a power inverter & hooking it up to the battery & not risk anything. I already blew out one GPS trying to hardwire it. Inside the cigarette lighter adapter is a few fuses and resistors. So, hardwiring is not really a smart idea.

Comment

I found the one for $30 + tax and shipping

But I will probly just go to the store to get it to save on the shipping

Also I would reccomend getting a GPS specific hard wire from ebay
                or
                A small Amplifier from ebay that has a USB plug
                or
                install a 12v outlet

don't splice wires on your bike to hardwire it to.
                Live To Ride, Ride To Live.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Mad_Katter2006 View Post
                  I found the one for $30 + tax and shipping

But I will probly just go to the store to get it to save on the shipping

Also I would reccomend getting a GPS specific hard wire from ebay
                  or
                  A small Amplifier from ebay that has a USB plug
                  or
                  install a 12v outlet

don't splice wires on your bike to hardwire it to.
                  If you choose one of these options, can you detail it here? That would be great.

Comment

That is pretty slick man, might have to look into doing something like this

Comment

I am going to plan on doing this also. I would like a 12v outlet (to use a cell charger if needed also), but I am worried about water, dirt, etc working its way in there. I think a GPS specific hard wire with fuse is the best route.
                      2006 Suzuki GSX600 Katana - 5k miles, shaved tail, gps cradle and hardwired, LED turn signals

Comment

The "mount guys" sell a hard wire kit for the Tomtom.

as a note, I took the stock suction cup mount, wet it, and stuck it to the inside of the windscreen.. then took a 75 mile ride over all sorts of road conditions... sucker doesn't budge. sits just over the tach, and is completely useable

make sure you tether the GPS as a just in case

See My Garage for mods...
                        T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                        Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
                          The "mount guys" sell a hard wire kit for the Tomtom.

as a note, I took the stock suction cup mount, wet it, and stuck it to the inside of the windscreen.. then took a 75 mile ride over all sorts of road conditions... sucker doesn't budge. sits just over the tach, and is completely useable

make sure you tether the GPS as a just in case
                          Gotta look them up Jay..
                          Thanks for that info. Damn thing dies so friggin quickly, it's not funny.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXF 600 Guy View Post
                            Gotta look them up Jay..
                            Thanks for that info. Damn thing dies so friggin quickly, it's not funny.
                            just do what I did then, and add a 12v socket under the seat, and run the power cord up the fairing edges.

easy enough.

See My Garage for mods...
                            T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                            Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

I ordered a hardwire kit for my Garmin Nuvi 255wt. I will be installing over Thanksgiving (if i get it by then!). I will be sure to take pics. I was planning to use the stock Garmin mount and drill a couple holes through it and through the windshield to mount it. good or bad idea....?

Comment

I went to the parking light for power. Brown is positive and black/white is ground. wired it up and worked alright. I am having issues with my garmin nuvi 255w. it shows the computer connection thing and thinks it is connecting to a computer. used my parents exact same model and it works fine. so not sure whats up there, but it does work!

I mounted with the suction cup mount and drilled 2 holes through the mount and the windshield. I wish i would have done them up and down instead of on the sides. they aren't straight thru, but it will work. just doesn't look the best. o well, live and learn.

Last edited by skidoo_03; 11-26-2010, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X