KOTM Dec 2007 Chinto

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Mechanics 101 Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Old 06-12-2018, 08:05 PM   #1
tunafisher729
Chicken Strip

Default Removing CA emissions - exhaust header plates?

From some recent searches, I understand that there are some blank plates that need to go under the exhaust headers, and a few lines under the carbs need to be capped off.

I have capped off the lines and plan on running a vacuum line from the #4 carb to the back of the petcock. The bike is currently running with a temp fuel source. I tried attaching the tank but I couldn't get it to start. It wasn't pulling gas from the tank. What is happening when the exhaust headers are being plated? Will I lose vacuum by not plating them off? Sorry for my ignorance, this emissions stuff is confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
tunafisher729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:07 PM   #2
Kreylyn
Kat King

eBay ID: Kreylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunafisher729 View Post
From some recent searches, I understand that there are some blank plates that need to go under the exhaust headers, and a few lines under the carbs need to be capped off.

I have capped off the lines and plan on running a vacuum line from the #4 carb to the back of the petcock. The bike is currently running with a temp fuel source. I tried attaching the tank but I couldn't get it to start. It wasn't pulling gas from the tank. What is happening when the exhaust headers are being plated? Will I lose vacuum by not plating them off? Sorry for my ignorance, this emissions stuff is confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
I've written a few detailed posts on the process and steps, so... that info, with pics is on the website.

That said...

The petcock vacuum runs off the carbs, and taking the splitter out would eliminate any vacuum concerns for the petcock. Make sure the petcock will work with vacuum by just putting a hose on the back of it, and suck on the hose. You should be able to pull enough vacuum that way to cause fuel to flow. If that doesn't work, there is an issue with the petcock. There is a full pictorial on rebuilding the petcock which will have all the info and photos of how to take it apart and check the petcock.

You can make plates simply by cutting 3/4" wide aluminum bar stock from lowes into plates, drill holes... bolt them on. You can also crimp over and seal the metal ends of the plate/hose connections already on the bike if you don't care how it looks.

3mm brass solid rod makes great permanent seals for the carb tubes running out the bottom. Pull them out, put the plugs in and be done with that permanently.

Be aware that the jetting on the CA model carbs are slightly different than non CA models. They run even more lean right now with today's gas than the other models... that also run lean.

Once the carbs and engine block is capped off, everything else can just be removed associated with the CA pair system.

Just let the tank system hose run to the bottom of the bike with the other over flow tubes. Be aware that full tanks and high heat (hot days direct sun) can cause that internal part to fail and allow fuel to be pushed out, so having that tube drain to the bottom of the bike is best.

It's a simple process, lots more info and pics on this site.

Krey

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101