Katana of the Month - October 2007  SEQX34

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Mechanics 101 Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Old 08-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #41
namelessfaceworship
Skid Mark

Not sure if i am using it wrong or what, but i was trying to find if carbs from an 89 katana 1100 would work in a 93 katana. I may have a chance to buy a non running 89 to use as a parts bike, but wanted to know if that would be a wise investment or not. Any info would be great.
namelessfaceworship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:55 AM   #42
tbeeler
Squid

Very useful
tbeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:54 AM   #43
FireKit
Rookie

this is a great site.
FireKit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:34 PM   #44
MCDsticks
Skid Mark

Default 95 to 98 rebuild

So in the intro's i posted about my 95 rolling chassis to wrecked 98 rebuild. Nothing like working with the actual parts. So this is what I have found out mechanically that would apply to more than just those dates but pre and post Katanas.

The fork stabilizer plate on the 95 is 0.158" thick. The 98 is 0.090', not a place to save weight or make cheaper.

The steering stem bearings on the 95 are tapered roller, the bearings on the 98 are ball bearings in a plastic cage. The top and bottom triple tree have 2 pinch bolts instead of 4. All fit into the '98 (after changing races) and using the 95 stem nut.

The front calipers on the 95 are 4-pot, the 98 is 2-pot albeit larger pads.
The 95 does not have a banjo bolt fitting on the calipers. Rotors are interchangeable. The 95 has a 5/8" master cylinder bore the 98 a 14mm.

The fork components are the same except the 95 spring is not progressive and the compression tube is longer. Took the best of both.

The 95 has a mechanical speedo, use 98 spacers on axle. Wheels are the same, just different finish. The clip-ons only have one bolt groove. The main key switch is interchangeable (not the key).

So, the front end is together as a hybrid. Controls installed Tank is cleaned and rust treated. Gas cap cleaned and operating All key tumblers keyed alike. Need a new gas cock. Carbs rebuilt and pilot jets corrected.

This is a side project for me so I work on it when I can.
MCDsticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101