2 Questions 1 Problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Questions 1 Problem

First the problem and Question...

I recently Installed a stock 03' Katana exhaust on my 91' 600. Everything seems to be running well. It idles without issue and for the most part is very smooth. I know I have lost power but yesterday I went out to do some low speed skills in the course we made in the parking lot when I ran into an unexpected issue. When I come to the end of the setup there is a very tight circle followed by a slalom. I use the throttle to get the bike upright after a fast tight turn. This time I almost ate it right there in the turn because when I gave the bike a lot of throttle it accelerated but then sharply choked right after. It was identical to the feeling of running out of gas. I though it may have been a fluke however it happened 3 more times after. I checked gas, fuel petcock position throttle cable and air intake with no problems. This did not happen with the old exhaust on the bike. The only time this would happen with the old parts was when the bike was not yet warm. Any ideas?

My second question is if anyone knows how I can check if the gaskets at the header are leaking. I have obviously stuck my hand up there to see if air was leaking, but this is very crude and I can't leave my hand there for very long. The reason it comes into question is due to the exhaust swap. I took the route of shaping the exhaust at the oil pan to fit without putting in the other pan. When tightened down there is a 3-4mm gap between the collar and the manifold. Not all the way around but only the lower bolt area. I have a picture of what I am talking about and to show you where I am talking about. The picture is before the modification so that is not the size of the gap.

Clymer manual didn't say anything about it.
    Attached Files

I'd suggest you consider a jetkit, and tune the carbs for the new exhaust if you don't have one already. New exhaust is gonna flow a bit better than that old dual system. Larger pipes, and no baffles that the flow has to go around.

If you do have one, then I would suggest revisit the tuning portion of the carbs...

Also, make sure your properly synced on the carbs.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Exactly what he said. Giving it to much throttle (depending on what gear and rpm U are at coming out of the thunder plays a big roll as well) you could have bogged the motor down by opening up the throttle too much and too soon at too low an rpm.
      Mine bogs alittle or feels dead going uphill around a turn as I let off and my rpms drop below 3k then downshift and being rpms to like 4k and its running better. It's all about load on the engine at a given speed/rpm.

If its not just that then the carb tuning is required. Jet kit is great bc you can fine tune the carb setup for your application. Sync will help. Pull the plugs and see what it needs.

Oh and just for the record I have 2 broken header bolts on my Kat (from the last owner) that I couldn't get out so 2 of my primaries aren't sealing completely as they only have 1 bolt holding them in and I have no issues with how she runs.
      Last edited by 91_gsx600F katana; 01-10-2013, 07:55 AM.
      1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
      fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
      55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
      R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
      Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        I'd suggest you consider a jetkit, and tune the carbs for the new exhaust if you don't have one already. New exhaust is gonna flow a bit better than that old dual system. Larger pipes, and no baffles that the flow has to go around.

If you do have one, then I would suggest revisit the tuning portion of the carbs...

Also, make sure your properly synced on the carbs.

Krey
        The old exhaust was a slip on Vance and Hines that was beat to hell from the previous owner.

If you have seen any of my posts you will notice the extent of my mechanical ability or disability. Therefore... how much would it cost to have the carbs cleaned? Also if replacing the jets is extra work ontop of cleaning the carbs or is it easy to do because the carbs are removed?
        Last edited by .408cheytac; 01-10-2013, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Carbs are pretty easy to clean. Take them apart fully via the manual or carb cleaning 101 both u can get here and soak em in carb cleaner over night and then reassemble. If u need to rebuild them , new seals and float needles etc get the parts before. The jet kit is super easy to install and best to do when cleaning the carbs bc u just replace the stock parts with the jet kit parts and your done.

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
            Carbs are pretty easy to clean. Take them apart fully via the manual or carb cleaning 101 both u can get here and soak em in carb cleaner over night and then reassemble. If u need to rebuild them , new seals and float needles etc get the parts before. The jet kit is super easy to install and best to do when cleaning the carbs bc u just replace the stock parts with the jet kit parts and your done.

I am just worried that if I fuck up or find I need parts I don't have then I am shit out of luck for transportation. lol

Comment

That's why u get everything before you do it. Or u could get a set already done an ready to go in for like 400-500$ from arsenic

Comment

Working...
              X