X

Reasoning for the third eye?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasoning for the third eye?

Does anyone know the fuctionality of the third eye which is seen on post 98 kat's? Is it just for looks or is it more for added visability. My reason for asking is that I was toying around with the idea of adding a third eye to my pre 98 depending on how in depth the process will be. I am sure the wiring would be easy enough to do by just splicing the third eye into the existing headlight harness but I am starting to wonder how difficult cutting & remolding the fairings would be

According to the owner's manual, the third eye is like a parking light for emergency stops on the shoulder at night. It's activated by turning the key beyond the off position to the parking position, which turns on the third eye and tail light without turning on the headlights. Saves draining the battery I guess. Don't know how effective it is during regular daytime or nighttime riding.
    Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

its no good for visibility either during day or night. U cant even see it at night.I've ridden past katanas at night and never saw it. Not bright enough. I had actually though of putting LED's in there , just to look cooler.
      " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

Seems like a great place to put a radar detector. Out of sight from the fuzz. Can't get in trouble for having it.

Comment

It'd be a fantastic location for a radar detector sensor or possibly a rocket launcher tube.
          ---Jeff (Long Beach Represent!)

'99 Katana 750 (Metallic Space Blue / Matte Silky Gray Metallic)
          Plus some cars.

"Never Break More than You Fix..."

Comment

The third eye is a great place for a remote camera!

Comment

Let MIBagentQ at it and the third eye will be as bright as the headlight. I've looked at it at night with the headlights on and off. I saw it with the headlights on, only cause I was looking for it. I normally don't see it on other Kats, daytime or nighttime. I like the camera ida, though...
              Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
              -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
              -Terence

Comment

i think I may try the radar dectector idea.
                "Knowledge comes from finding the answers, yes, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom. Men who didn’t understand the difference have been the ruin of some of the world’s greatest civilizations." - Lionel Luthor

Comment

i think i may try the rocket launcher idea [/img]
                  One who is a Samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night... the fact that he has to die." -- The Code of the Samurai

Comment

I'd go for the rocket launcher. It'd help with those damn cages stuck in the left lane on my commute in the mornings.

Comment

...or a paintball launcher?

Comment

I do have a rather healthy stock of model rocket parts at home. . . Hmmmmm. . .

Plus some cars.

Comment

Here is a post with more info on it...

That would be awesome for the radar detector, but my roommate was telling me of a friend of his that had a radar detector up under his dash and was pulled over in virginia and they prohibit radar detectors and they have radar dectector detectors. The police impounded the guys car, ripped the dash out, got the detector and called the guy to pick up his car and they didn't put the dash back. so make sure you have a on/off switch for some situations.

I have read that it is legal to block the new lazer speed guns with devices, but it is illegal to block the radar speed guns.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Get a better detector. Anything that's worth having nowadays has some measure of VG2 blocking in it, which essentially blocks detector detection.

I recommend this one:

Valentine Research manufactures and sells direct the Valentine One Gen2 Radar Locator, the only radar and laser detector that tracks multiple threats.

I have one and absolutely swear by it. It has saved me hundreds if not thousands in wasted expenses, not to mention the aggrivation. Well worth the money. Just don't leave it sitting on your bike or it'll be gone faster than you can say "valentine".

Here's the info on V1's web site regarding their "invisibility":

Read technical information about radar and laser from the Valentine Research Engineering Department.

Plus some cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Badkitty
                              its no good for visibility either during day or night. U cant even see it at night.I've ridden past katanas at night and never saw it. Not bright enough. I had actually though of putting LED's in there , just to look cooler.
                              I got an LED. its ok
                              Attached Files
                              Is that your bike outside? I ride.... competitively.

Comment

Working...
                              X