X

High RPMS at highway speeds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High RPMS at highway speeds

I have a 94 600. Crusing around 70-75 my RPMS are around 7-8k I believe. I just had it on the highway for the first time, and it was only a short distance. Seems high. Is this bad for the engine? Not sure on the sprocket but are they expensive or hard to replace? Would I do just the rear or the front too?

That's high in that you're getting a lot of vibration at those rpms. It's not that high for an in-line 4 bike engine (Not when red line is over 10K) and it sounds about right for a 600. IIRC, my 750 ran about 6K rpm at 70 mph. You can drop a tooth or two on the rear sprocket but you're going to lose low-speed acceleration by doing so.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

sounds like its geared to short. my friends bike was like that last season, all kinds of power but hard on fuel and screamin on the hwy. his was at 13 47, switched it to 15 47... now it runs about 5500 rpm at 60mph
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Just looked at some receipts I got with the bike, looks like the front sprocket is 14, rear is 45. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep the front the same, just get a different rear. Also what chain would I need? The bike will be ridden mostly highway and I'd like to cruise around 5500-6000 at 65. Thanks.
        Last edited by TSG; 04-04-2011, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Sounds just a bit too high - my 06 750 is right around 6K @ 80 mph on the super slab. Stock gearing is 15/45, but I believe the 600's are geared slightly different - maybe 15/47? That 14 front gear should be replaced soon, as I don't think it's good for the chain or the engine out on the slab - might be fine for stuntin, the the Kat really isn't the right mount for that.
          2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
          2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
            Sounds just a bit too high - my 06 750 is right around 6K @ 80 mph on the super slab. Stock gearing is 15/45, but I believe the 600's are geared slightly different - maybe 15/47? That 14 front gear should be replaced soon, as I don't think it's good for the chain or the engine out on the slab - might be fine for stuntin, the the Kat really isn't the right mount for that.
            So if I would put a 15 on the front, would I need a longer chain? Is it a difficult job? Sorry I'm a total noob to this stuff.

EDIT: From what I found stock gearing is 14/45, which is what I have. But doesn't seem right.
            Last edited by TSG; 04-04-2011, 10:10 AM.

Comment

It isn't perfect, but you can compare gearing/speeds at this site:
              Motorcycle speed and sprocket calculator with bike database for gearing, sprockets, tires and chains of over 1900 bikes. Request yours to be added as well.
              Last edited by foxox; 04-11-2011, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Ugh, nevermind. Sorry to waste everyone's time. Rode to work today. 6500 RPM @ 80 MPH. Must've had another gear last night lol.

Comment

stop riding in 5th lol
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

wow lol
                    Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                    Current Bikes:
                    1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Working...
                    X