Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

rebuilding 98 katana, no spark issues!! HELP!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rebuilding 98 katana, no spark issues!! HELP!!

Ok, heres the low down so far, fixed my ignition issue bike tried to start. fixed my head light issue, bike has only low beams, but i think i know whats up with the right side light and the high beam so thats not an issue. cleaned the carbs and tried spraying staer fluid into the carbs nothing happens. so here is what i am asking. the ignition system can be the only thing at fault or compression and i cant see the compression being an issue because the motor only has 12000 miles on it. what is a common failing component in these engines? what exactly do i need to check that would cause both CDI's not to start? could the cmputer be bad only after 12000 miles? i mean i know the bike was laid down at low speed because there are a few scratches on the fairings but that isnt an isse really. please help thanx!
    Curtis R Burnside

First , everything in a case such as this is gas or spark.. Sounds like you may have eliminated gas, as you're spraying & still gettting no kick.

OK, let's assume you sprayed enough and directly into the carbs while cranking, right?

SPARK: Remove a plug with wire still attached and ground the side of the plug to the engine( NOT NEAR THE GAS!) and crank, checking for spark. Get any?

If yes, then back to fuel problem.

If no, could be coils or coil wires, CDI (there's only one BTW), could be fuses, could be signal generator, could be wiring, could be ,,,,,,you get the point. You gotta check a few things, and here's where a volt/ohm meter comes in VERY handy!

Visually, you can check all the above for loose connections, but a meter looks like its needed.

This all assumes it'll crank but not kick, right?
    I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
    Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
    Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

exactly i sprayed agood amount in and i also did the spark plug test still nothing, i got a volt meter so where do i start? i meant coil packs not cdi. i checked for loos connections. i just cant see an electrical component going bad like this after 12000 miles. but none the less where do i start?
      Curtis R Burnside

Comment

Work backwards from the plugs.

Is this thing turning over just not kicking?

No spark? Check coils Ohms

Coils good? Check wires feeding them

All good there, check Signal generator Ohms

CDI is tough to verify, but a manual helps!
        I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
        Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
        Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

yea thats what i am gonna do, i have an online manual and just ordered a clymers. the plugs are kinda black but i figured they wouldnt need changed yet. but i am gonna change them anyway. how do i check for ohms? thanx for the help i will change the plugs (what kind does it take?) and then check ohms as soon as i figure out how.
          Curtis R Burnside

Comment

ok new information, i tested the pick up and both coild, they ohm good from what i can tell. within specs for the book. so i will try new plugs tomm and see what i come up with. the only other thing would be the igniter. we will find out.
            Curtis R Burnside

Comment

Originally posted by Special K View Post
              First , everything in a case such as this is gas or spark.. Sounds like you may have eliminated gas, as you're spraying & still gettting no kick.

OK, let's assume you sprayed enough and directly into the carbs while cranking, right?

SPARK: Remove a plug with wire still attached and ground the side of the plug to the engine( NOT NEAR THE GAS!) and crank, checking for spark. Get any?

If yes, then back to fuel problem.

If no, could be coils or coil wires, CDI (there's only one BTW), could be fuses, could be signal generator, could be wiring, could be ,,,,,,you get the point. You gotta check a few things, and here's where a volt/ohm meter comes in VERY handy!

Visually, you can check all the above for loose connections, but a meter looks like its needed.

This all assumes it'll crank but not kick, right?
              okay what about a 98 katana 600 and only 2-3 coil will spark and icu gets hot

Comment

Originally posted by drrussell View Post
                okay what about a 98 katana 600 and only 2-3 coil will spark and icu gets hot
                More investigation is needed.

Swap coils... do the issue persist at the same location or follow the coil? If it follows, then it's likely a coil issue and a replacement may fix.

If it stays, then it's an input issue. So check the wires and the icm "igniter" output is sending voltage.

If voltage is going out from the icm, but not reaching the coil you know it's wiring.

If no voltage out of the icm, then you likely have an icm issue since it's only one side.

If the icm doesn't turn on at all, then that's likely an issue with the ignition switch having been swapped or modified to non OEM, which was the most likely issue the OP posted about way back in 06 and wasn't as well known about. There is a resistance diode in 98+ oem switches that are required to be in place or the ignitor won't' turn on. This does not appear to be the issue for you as one coil works.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                X