X

Remove front rotors

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove front rotors

Hi, I am going get new tires, Metzeler Z6 for my 1993 600. Thought I would get my rims painted, they are stock purple. Want them black. So went to local bike dealer and had them remove the tires. Went home to remove the rotors. Started with the rear wheel. Got the rotor of and thought several times that I hope not one of the bolt will break. Used lots of WD40. Started on the front wheel, again lots of WD40, and loosened 3 bolts, number 4 I turned several times and then suddenly I had the top in my hand, broken where the thread starts. I got really mad at myself, this is one of the problems which could have been avoided. The bike will not drive different if the rims are purple or black. This week a friend of mine will help remove the rest of the bolt, hopefully without destroying the thread.
    Then I will decide if I will try to get the rotors of or keep the rims in original color.

But what did I do wrong? WD40? Should I have used heat? Should probably have turned it back and forth.
    Anybody else ever broken a bolt in a rim and got it removed with success?

Any good inputs will be appreciated.

Best regards
    Klaus

WD40 is pretty godly stuff, but chances are it was held in there with some loctite or some other threadlocker. A good trick is often to tighten it a little first to break the bond and then loosen.
    Oh and a tip for the future: It's a lot easer to get the brake discs off the wheels when they're still attached to the bike!

Comment

Impact driver would be a good choice.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I was having the same problem. Air impact did the job. Just makes sure you don't mess up the hex bolt head or you'll be drilling and trying to to get out whats left with a easy out. good luck!
        Richard
        96 Suzuki GSX750F
        89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
        05 Yamaha WR450F
        05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

I've broke the head off a rotor bolt; I think an impact driver might have helped.

I've also found that to get a nice tight fit, the hex drivers that come mounted in a socket are cut flat on the socket end, not rounded off like on the exposed end, which gives it a little better fit.

Comment

As said above...impact driver.

Suzuki used some pretty stout stuff to hole the rotor bolts in...it's retarded. I've never had a bolt back out of nice, clean threads when installed to proper torque specs.

In the future, if you don't have an impact driver, and even if you do have an impact driver, it's good to use a centerpunch and give the bolt head a few good whacks. You use the center punch so as not to damage the head and make putting a wrench on it impossible.

Comment

Hi
              Thanks for the replys. So a impact driver is what it takes. Wish I asked a week ago.
              Went to a friend today, we drilled a 4mm in the bolt, took a 4 allen key a hammered in. Heated on the rim and tried to turn it. Nothing happened. Then we made a funnel and with oxygen / gas applied heat to the bolt and tried turning it again. nothing happended. Drilled a 5 mm hole and with 5mm allen key tried again. And nothing happeden. Could not turn it. And one of th other bolt has a bad hex. So now I am considering finding a CNC miling machine and drilling the head of the remaining bolt. milling 6,8mm hole and cut new threads. And right now I do not care if the rims ever gets painted.
              What is a centerpunch?
              Klaus

Comment

Jeg tror nok de mener en kørner.

Har et set fælge til salg hvis det er, dog bor jeg på Sjælland.

Comment

Hi,
                  Happy update, I got the remaining bolt out tonight. With heat and a bit and turning a little harder I got it out without destroying the thread. And the rest of them got a punch with a hammer and som heat and then I could remove them.

Klaus

Comment

Working...
                  X