X

1st long ride..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st long ride..

well ive decided to ride home to ft worth for thanxgiveing and im going to ride my bike.. this will constitute the longest ride on my bike (distancewise) is there n e thing i should do b4 i go regarding my bike? i only have 1600 miles on it.

If you haven't done an oil change yet, I would. Otherwise, I would think a normal walk around would be prudent.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

naw not yet.. im real new to the bike so would i b better off taking it somewhere to change the oil?

Comment

Don't need to. You don't have to change the filter. Just drain the oil like a car and add more. It's a fairly simple process. And, apparently, you don't have to take off the bottom fairings to do it.

However, you probably should have changed it at 600 miles, just to clean out any metal shavings from the new engine. Make sure you wipe off the magnet on the drain plug.
        -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

theprevious owner changes it at 600 miles b4 he sold it to me. i got it when it only had 960 miles on it.

Comment

Ah...ok. I see that CP is checking posts now. I'm sure he'll have some good advice for you. He's been riding a bit more than I have.
            -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

hey bro have a good ride and be sure to let us know how it felt (your butt that is). i have yet to go on a long trip yet.
              What did the hand say to the face?... "Slap!"

Comment

Check/change your oil.
                Check your tire pressures.
                Lube your chain if needed.
                Do some stretching exercises before you leave.
                ENJOY YUOR RIDE!!!!!!

Comment

TAKE A PISS!
                  << RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !! >>
                  KRAZYKAT'S KATANA PICTURES

Comment

well i took the ride and it was great! well atleast the ride there.. it was way more comfortable then i thought it would be.. but of course i got the usual motorcycle rider cramps and aches.. man my hands!.. but i really got a chance to open her up! but i was alwasy paranoid about the cops.....
                    the ride back was ridiculous! an extra hour and a half due to traffic!! but now im definately in need of an oil change so i need instructions on how to do it! 2136 miles.. haha i love it!

Comment

Get it a little warmed up so the oil can flow more smoothly (Idle for a few minutes). now turn it off and put your oil collector undernear the oil pan bolt. You may have to take off the bell pan fairing.
                      Once that's draining well you can take off your oil filter.
                      now after the oil seems to have all come out (it can take a little while) you can put the new oil filter on. Dip your finger in the new oil and run it around the rubber o-ring seal on the new filter and then finger tighten it (with a clean hand )
                      Now put your oil pan bolt back in (or Fumoto oil valve) and tighten up. A search will yield the unmers on how many ft/lbs to tighten to. I just got it pretty tight.
                      Now fill up with new oil via the opening on the right side above the sight glass ( a search will tell you what kinds of oil are good, what kinds are bad)
                      I fill till I can see the oil barely at the very bottom of the sight glass on the side stand due to the fact I don't have race stands or a centerstand. Oil should be right in the middle or a little more warmed up and upright.

Anyone else who's more knowledgeable feel free to correct me
                      Live and Lean.
                      When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
                      "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
                      Romans 3:23

Comment

Working...
                      X