X

Stuck at a Signal Light ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck at a Signal Light ?

Hundreds of articles on Motorcycle Safety/Dynamics and accident case studies

Check out that link, its got some great information about how to handle the dreaded stuck signal light scenario we've all faced a million times.

Link courtesy of kickitjp. 8)
    Last edited by Sufyan; 06-28-2010, 03:34 PM. Reason: Fixed link

I just saw this post now, but that site has a lot of great reading on it!
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thanks WildKat. Something to Keep in Mind. Be Safe.
      http://www.geocities.com/kissarmymc/
      bikerfriend.org You get cool stickers for your cage

Comment

Thanks...
        "Wait you are hitting me for something I might do"

Comment

That was some good info.
          2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
          Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
          "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
          Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
          Veteran of the United States Air Force.
          "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

I always get stuck at a light righ tby my house and nothing seems to work so i just run it. Its usually late at night when i catch it.

Comment

If a detector fails to notice a vehicle, whether by poor design or component failure or misadjustment, the detector is malfunctioning. If a traffic control device is malfunctioning (blinking red, power failure, pole knocked down) roadway users are required to treat it as they would a stop sign. The correct behavior at a stop sign is to completely stop, verify traffic is clear so it's safe to proceed, and cross the intersection.

When a detector is malfunctioning so it won't detect a vehicle on the roadway (truck, car, motorcycle, bicycle) on a route I use often, I send a letter to the responsible jurisdiction and keep a copy in my file. I report the malfunctioning signal and offer to meet the maintenance crew at the site to use my vehicle that experiences the problem (truck, car, motorcycle, bicycle) to assist with the adjustment. If I'm ever cited for violating that red light, I have a record of reporting the problem. In some cases I have received a response from the city attorney, city street maintenance chief, or chief of police, warning me that I must lawfully stop at all traffic control devices. That's fine - it verifies they've received my report.

Comment

As a Law Enforcement Officer I can see both sides of the argument. I will say that I can not condone braking laws. As a bike rider, I have been there. If you are sitting and the light has cycled twice, it is a fair assumption that it is not going to change for you. If I saw a bike "Run the light" from a stopped position, I would stop them but if they told me they waited and the light never changed. I would have to let them go. The lights are installed for safe, and productive traffic control- being stuck at a light is neither.

Wait for the light to cycle

Go when it is safe

Comment

Letter of the law vs/ spirit of the law . Sounds like you're one of the "good ones " .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

One time in McKinney Tx, I waited at a light to turn for me through 4 cycles.... with a cop behind me..actually TWO cops behind me. He finnaly got tired of waiting and pulled around me and blocked the street with his lights. I would have turned right (if I wasn't turning left) but he was behind me....
                    Horn broken--watch for finger....

Comment

I glued 2 magnets, each about the size of a dominos playing piece, onto the bottom of each swing arm. I haven't had a problem with traffic lights since....

Comment

If there is a "pedestrian button", consider getting off the bike and pressing that button.
                        2006 GSX600F

Comment

I have had good luck since before by using my center stand. I pull over the cut outs in the concrete ( where the circuit is ) and tap cy center stand on it 4 or 5 times. It will pick up my bike after that. I haven't had any trouble since.

Comment

Originally posted by DoyleDee
                            One time in McKinney Tx, I waited at a light to turn for me through 4 cycles.... with a cop behind me..actually TWO cops behind me. He finnaly got tired of waiting and pulled around me and blocked the street with his lights. I would have turned right (if I wasn't turning left) but he was behind me....
                            4 cycles? That means you sat through a green light! Ex. Cross traffic green, you red - one cycle. Cross traffic red, you green - second cycle. Cross traffic green, you red - third cycle! You missed your opportunity! Those cops must have made you nervous!
                            "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting," Holy sh*t!!! What a ride!!!"

Comment

If the light was green don't you think I would have went. Answer YES.
                              It never turned green for me. I could watch the light turn green for cross traffic, but it NEVER changed for me. Cops don't bother me at all---- Even with my Blue leds.....Havent been pulled over or chased once. 15,222 miles and counting 1 yr riding.......

Comment

Working...
                              X