X

Katana vent,vac and fuel lines

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana vent,vac and fuel lines

I'm new to this world of 2 wheels so bare with me. I'm working on my 95 Katana 600. I decided to tear the carbs apart and clean them out. The bike was sitting for a year or so and started running sluggish and not idle worth a lick. NowI have it put together and sounds and idles perfect except I have 4 hoses that come off the carbs. 2 of them go over the air box and down and the other 2 i'm not too sure. I have the two fuel lines that go to the petcock and the vac.any help would be deeply appreciated but hurry because this whole week's weather is ridding weather. thanks in advance

Re: Katana vent,vac and fuel lines

Originally posted by czavala76
    I'm new to this world of 2 wheels so bare with me. I'm working on my 95 Katana 600. I decided to tear the carbs apart and clean them out. The bike was sitting for a year or so and started running sluggish and not idle worth a lick. NowI have it put together and sounds and idles perfect except I have 4 hoses that come off the carbs. 2 of them go over the air box and down and the other 2 i'm not too sure. I have the two fuel lines that go to the petcock and the vac.any help would be deeply appreciated but hurry because this whole week's weather is ridding weather. thanks in advance

Two fuel lines:
    Bottom on carbs between 1 & 2 and betweem 3 & 4. They go into "T" connections there. Route STRAIGHT UP between carbs, then to petcock - (Front and rear is 89-97, or just one line for 98+)

Air Lines:
    Disconnect and toss is you're running a jet kit of any kind.
    If not, these connect near but ABOVE the fule lines, and route in front of the fuel lines as the four of them come UP thru the carbs. Then route over air box to clips at rear.

Vacuum line:
    Routes from right hand sife near top of # 4 carb, out to right, factory bend in hose turns it UP for a few inches, then another factory bend turns it towards to fuel petcock over near # 1 carb. Routes THRU small bent clip that goes on top on #3 carb at front (air cap) and then UNDER bend and between (98+) throttle cables and UNDER exhaust gas outlet hose from engine to left side of fuel petcock.

Drain lines:
    Can be one, two, or three, depends on year of Kat! Early ones had three, then about 92 or 93 they went to two, but 98+ Kats have only one! KEY HERE is these ALL come off bottom of the tank! They run over to right near top of carb # 4 then route DOWN to rear right of engine and to hose holder clip located at rear of engine cradle. VERY IMPORTANT to have, because these lines actually route (cold) spilled fuel from tank neck (when fueling), (IF you are sloppy!) away from that HOT engine! (Can you say FIRE! ) They also catch and route any fule leaks from the early model sending units, and if you overfill or fill too mcuh and then it slops around.

Well, hopes that helps!

Maybe I'll add some photos later........... 8)
    I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
    Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
    Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

One note for the above:

If you are running a California model, there is a totally different schematic for the hoses/lines that applies. There should be a sticker under the seat (on the rear wheel fender's top side) with the proper routing instructions for the California model if you have one, although the sticker may be long-gone by now...

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Okay i think i have it .The vac line that goes from #4 carb to the petcock all the other carbs have that same nipple, but on mine #2and#3 had hoses connected to them and #1 had no hose I applied vac and pressure to the hoses and it was like as if they are plugged up I think the previous owner might have put them there for some reason or another.Now on the nipple under the tank for the drain is that the nipple on the sending unit or the one on the actual tank?

Comment

Originally posted by czavala76
          Okay i think i have it .The vac line that goes from #4 carb to the petcock all the other carbs have that same nipple, but on mine #2and#3 had hoses connected to them and #1 had no hose I applied vac and pressure to the hoses and it was like as if they are plugged up I think the previous owner might have put them there for some reason or another.Now on the nipple under the tank for the drain is that the nipple on the sending unit or the one on the actual tank?
          Sending unit is all electrical -- no vacuum source gets fed to it.
          The nipple close to the center of the tank is a rainwater drain/displacement vent in the 49-state model, but a place to pull gas vapors on the California models. Easy way to estabilish if you have a California model: look at your headers -- if there is another smaller pipe below each header, or a bolted-on block-off plate below each header pipe, it's a California model.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Re: Katana vent,vac and fuel lines

Originally posted by Special K
            They run over to right near top of carb # 4 then route DOWN to rear right of engine and to hose holder clip located at rear of engine cradle. VERY IMPORTANT to have, because these lines actually route (cold) spilled fuel from tank neck (when fueling), (IF you are sloppy!) away from that HOT engine! (Can you say FIRE! )
            Clip ? There's a clip for those things ? Great something else I'm missing ! I just stuck them throught the hole near the shock under the battery tray ! I figured that'd be the best I could do to keep the gas away from the engine/chain/anything else .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I am having a problem with my 95 Katana 600. This is my first bike I bought it for $300 in pieces. It was sitting for a year or so. I took the carbs out and soaked them in gas then cleaned it out with a carb cleaning tool kit to clean out the jets and pilot jets and anything else that looked like it needed cleaning. Now I got it back together and it runs for a while and then dies out. I think it's a vacuum line. Where do all the vacuum lines go and come from? I believe I have all the gas lines correct. Front outlet of petcock facing the front of the bike is hooked up to the bottom of carbs 3-4 (counting carbs from left to right) and rear of the petcock outlet is hooked up to the rear of bike. I don't see any vacuum line to crack case when I look through the side of the bike so it would be safe to say that the bike isn't a California model.

Comment

1) start your own thread. 2) the search above does work, Google option works better. There is only 1 vac line. Right side of carb 4 to the back of the petcock. The nipples on the tank are drains and vents, should have hoses and lead to the bottom of the bike as should the 2 front ports between carbs 1&2, 3&4. I would check the petcock for proper vac hose install and function first. Use the prime, knob pointing toward the rear for 30 sec to 1 min. Then to run, knob pointing down. If that changes nothing leave it in prime and try again. If that works the petcock may be the issue.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

"carb cleaning tool kit"

Comment

What? Never heard of that..
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                      "carb cleaning tool kit"
                      Must only be sold in Florida
                      2002 750 Kat
                      2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                      1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.